Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossing Land with a Firearm

Crossing Land with a Firearm

Does anyone know if it is legal to cross someone-elses land with a firearm (sleeved, bolt removed etc) to access your land in Scottish law.

Scenario is this, bit of woodland too lodged to get through and have to skip out onto the neighbours ground for about 200 yards before can get back onto own ground.

Any help appricated.

It would be polite to ask them, regardless of the legalities.

Agree with Bobt... its better to ask permission first.

My Scottish law is a bit rusty at the moment but will check my books and get back to you.

Re: Crossing Land with a Firearm

Quote Originally Posted by Frax
    Does anyone know if it is legal to cross someone-elses land with a firearm (sleeved, bolt removed etc) to access your land in Scottish law.

Any help appricated.
    You are quite in your rights to cross the land to reach your own land with a firearm. Strictly you do not have to sleeve the rifle or remove the bolt, but it helps to stop misunderstandings if you do. I have two blocks were the only access is over other land owner’s property, and I always make sure my rifle is unloaded and sleeved. Under the Access law you only have to give reasonable reason for having a weapon on land you do not other wise have legal permission to be on, and travelling to or from land that you do have permission to shoot on is seen as reasonable excuse.

If you have any reservations contact the BASC Scotland they will give you advice, I used to know the legislation that covered the carrying of a firearm on land you otherwise have no permission to be on, but I can’t think of it at the minute.

Best rgds

Tahr

Many thanks chaps, much appreciated.

Naturally will go down the polite route first but wanted to know the legal side just in case.

well ive just had a talking down by a stuck up land owner,ive been crossing her land,rifle sleeved/bolt out etc for the last 6 months and just this morning as she was riding her horse she ordered me not to go on her land at all.as i don't want to put this owner right on a few things i just apologised but still she kept moaning and moaning as i told her i was gaining access to land that i have permission to shoot she just said if i see you again i will call the police as the deer are all disappearing.

once again i apologised tugged my forelock and bowed.i have permission to use the track to gain access to the land i shoot on,so now where do i stand?
    i DO NOT shoot anything that is on her land nor will attempt to.why do people with money think they can tell other what they can and can`t do?

It was something that came up at the best practice. You are allowed to cross another's ground to access your shootng. No question. It is polite and stops confusion if you advise the land owner. However it must be across a single owners ground. ie public access road, then across the field or whatever then onto the shooting ground. You cannot go walkabout with the intention of getting yourself eventually to the shooting ground though it can be by an alternative route to assist the stalk. By that I mean you can cross a field to come into the wood to allow for wind direction even though you could drive up to the wood entrance gate if by doing so stalking would be a problem due to deer scenting you.

Jim

Mick, It gave me a real chuckle to read her reply to you"As all the deer are disappearing"
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    You are quite in your rights to cross the land to reach your own land with a firearm. Strictly you do not have to sleeve the rifle or remove the bolt, but it helps to stop misunderstandings if you do. I have two blocks were the only access is over other land owner’s property, and I always make sure my rifle is unloaded and sleeved. Under the Access law you only have to give reasonable reason for having a weapon on land you do not other wise have legal permission to be on, and travelling to or from land that you do have permission to shoot on is seen as reasonable excuse.

If you have any reservations contact the BASC Scotland they will give you advice, I used to know the legislation that covered the carrying of a firearm on land you otherwise have no permission to be on, but I can’t think of it at the minute.

Best rgds

Tahr
    Unloaded, bolt out and rifle sleeved will remove certain elements of doubt. However, if you cross anothers land to get to your permission with an unsleeved rifle when does the armed trespass offence kick in?
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.