Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon Monarch Binoculars

Nikon Monarch Binoculars

Hi!!

I'm just getting into deer stalking and looking for a decent set of bins to get me going that will do the job until I can afford something better

I've got around 300 to spend on a pair of bins and was looking at these (8.5x56)
    http://www.nikon.com/products/sporto..._x56/index.htm

anyone got anythoughts on them, or any recommendations on anything similar?

thanks in advance

Oggy

I've had the Monarch 8x42 for over 4 years now. Excellent optics although both eye cups have lost their twist/click movement and are now held in situ by tape. Still great value today from Micrglobe at 199.

I have been using a set of olympus EXWP1 binoculars for about 3 years. Just got a set of swarovski 10x42 as there was a good deal on them. Comparing the two last night i would say the swaros were slightly brighter and sharper but the main difference is the build quality, swaro obviously superior.
    I just had a quick look on net and they are available in uk for approx 300 but i suspect could be got for less. I bought mine in Hong Kong for 100 and they sell in the states for less than 300. A relative of mine is going to HK in a few months time and im going to get a new pair as a back up and a friend who uses 8x56 zeiss dialyt is going to also get a pair as they are a lot smaller and lighter than the zeiss.
    They are deffinatly not as good as the top european glass of course but for somewhere between 100 and 300 they are superb.

http://www.binoculars-uk.co.uk/acata...mpus_EXWP.html

I have a pair of 12 x 50 Monarchs. They are fine as a starter pair, a set to keep in the truck or for spares or work etc. While we all have to work within our own budgets you will probably find you want a better pair in future. Try some good ones (any of the big makes will be fine) in low light.

Have a quick look on ebay. There is a pair of what looks like a pair of Zeiss conquests?? 8 x 40 on ebay buy-it-now for 400. There isn't much info on them but it could be deal if they are in good order. Thats a 650 / 700 set of bins there ~ got to be worth a phone call. There are others as well, Leica / Leitz both appear several times and others will come up.

It depends on your stalking but the 56mm objective might be a lot to carry and a bit of a pain. It might work for you but most stalkers get away with something around 8X42 successfully. My Minox 8.5X43 allowed me to see the antlers on a sika stag in a dark forest. With the naked eye I couldn't even see the stag, I heard him walk by, and he couldn't see me either. I couldn't shoot it as if it had run I'd never have located it so the binos were capable of more than i required.

I brought the Minox in from the USA with tax paid etc. for 400, don't know if an import is that good value now but worth thinking about. You might be able to bring the Nikons in at a saving as well, though check very carefully in terms of what the tax etc. will cost you.

I use nikon scopes and i just got my first set of bins from cabelas while i was in the states
    I have the 10x42 and there just as good andas others ive seen
    I had a apir of bushneels which were good but you can tell a country miles difference inthe nikons...
    cheers scout

binos

If you are starting out get 8x42's

56's too heavy and cumbersome for stalking and shooting. Ok for spying from jeep though.

you can get leupold windriver cascades from fleabay for your dosh. I had bushnell trophy's for a few years wheni started. shot more deer using them than now!!!!

Have a look at or call the bird watching optics shops (CleySpy/InFocus/LCE) and see about second hand Swarovski/Zeiss/Leica. I know that some of the lesser makes are pretty good these days but buy once and buy the best is my moto. I would go for 7 or 8 x 40 for general stalking uses. 10x is ok too. Forget the old rules about needing large objectives for low light, modern quality optics mean that 40mm is fine at 7/8/10x. JC

Guys, thanks for all your help and direction!!

I was going for the 56mm obj lens for the low light capability, but as you pointed out, I'll only be using them for spotting and identifying, so I'll probably got for the 56mm obj on my scope and go for a smaller set of bins

Quote Originally Posted by Wingers243
    Have a quick look on ebay. There is a pair of what looks like a pair of Zeiss conquests?? 8 x 40 on ebay buy-it-now for 400. There isn't much info on them but it could be deal if they are in good order. Thats a 650 / 700 set of bins there ~ got to be worth a phone call. There are others as well, Leica / Leitz both appear several times and others will come up.
    Well spotted!!!!!

They arrived this morning and I'm chuffed to bits with 'em!!

Thanks everyone!! Sorted now!!