Thread: Cheap Ultrasonic Cleaners

Cheap Ultrasonic Cleaners

Hello all. I've been looking for a cheap means of cleaning my brass and have found some very cheap ultrasonic jewelry cleaners on ebay for under a tenner. Does anyone have any experience of these or similar? I've not got a link but just tapped-in 'Ultrasonic Cleaner' in the ebay search box.Any advice/experience gladly recieved.

I used to use a US cleaner that I bought from Lidl for 20 new. Certainly did the job once you have the right mixture of water and cleaning agents (can't remember that though O_o). I sold it on because I just prefer tumbling and not having to dry cases.

I think as long as you don't try to clean hundreds at once you'll be fine with a smaller one, just go steady and go easy with citric acid in the mix. It works, but it will discolour and weaken brass if too strong.

i use one, its about the size of half a loaf of bread, very neat
    just use hand cleaner (the swarfega granular scrubby stuff)
    2-3 times on a 5 min cycle and the water is black, brass is clean but not bling, and.....primer pockets are clean.

stand them all on end, put an elastic band round them and stick them on a radiator. they dry by themselves

I use a capful of flash in very hot water, rinse with boiling water and dry on radiator.

I didn't know that citric would weaken the cases!

atb blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue400 View Post
    I didn't know that citric would weaken the cases! atb blue.
    not unless it is "weapons grade"
    it may discolour but I can't see it removing enough of any of the component metals to weaken structure

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    not unless it is "weapons grade"
    it may discolour but I can't see it removing enough of any of the component metals to weaken structure
    Vinegar too strong or left for too long is the problem. You get a purple patina on the brass which is an undesired effect. Its an element of the brass coming out, maybe copper can't remember. I think it might be any acid which does it, so maybe strong citric could do it.

You need to be careful that the US bath isn't too small and if you can buy with a shooters recommendation.

any discolouration is oxidation at a molecular level not a structural one

its an alloy, youc an get lead leaching from brass with a lead (Pb) constituent as it has a much lower melting point,
    You can also get "De-Zincing" of brass over a long period of time and persistent attack by corrosive soltions and you may see one element of an alloy react more to certain chemicals than others (usually Zinc)

But without a very strong reagent you are literally creating a protective coating,
    Undesirable or not, oxides tend to be much less reactive than their contituent elements once coated

its why we rust blue steel