Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mercy killing

Mercy killing

The Roe Buck season opened for me this past weekend with two clients over two days. Both of them are site members and have stalked with me before.
    The weather was as usual bloody horrible, cold wind and nothing growing food wise for the deer, but at least it was dry. The first client shot a reasonable old 6 pointer in heavy velvet out of a group of 5 that appeared very late in the evening on a grass meadow. But prior to this I had seen a doe on the other side of the road which did not look at all well.

The doe was in an awkward place to obtain a reasonable shot, and although we had tried to make use of a nearby ditch to gain some distance the shot was still in excess of 200yds.

The doe was walking very slowly, and with an arched back, scanning her with the binoculars I could make out areas on her back that appeared to devoid of hair, and the caudial patch was not white, but black, a sure indication that she was having some serious problems due to the clotted dung on her behind. I also noticed she was very thin, and could make out the hip bones every now abd again when she turned.

However she spotted us and mad eoff into the nearby wood and we let her be, as it was a sure bet she would not go far in that condition. I intended to stalk her and cull her tomorrow with the other client.

On the arrival of the client (who's name I will not mention as I do not have his authority) I told him that we were going to try and find and stalk this particular deer to end her misery. The weather was slightly better than the day before. Arriving early morning on the area, we stalked from two fields back to see if she was in the area, and I immediatly spotted her again almost in the same place as previous. The wind was not good for us, but after a slight detour around the wood we managed to come down the side with the wind above her, and looking down onto he from a slight bank. The range was less than the previous attempt, but was still some 180yds by my judgement. The client was shooting a 308 sighted in 1.5 inches high at 100yds. The shot was taken and the beast hit hard, which then proceeded to take a few steps into the edge of a nearby blackthorn hedge, where she stood head down. After a few minutes the beast laid down and her head also went down.

I approached her and although just about alive I decided to make sure with a knife. The beast was in a hell of a state, very thin, hair loss, and suffering badly from dioreah.

Not the best start for a client wanting a buck, but a good result none the less.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000030.jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	437.3 KB 
ID:	26844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000027.jpg 
Views:	436 
Size:	255.4 KB 
ID:	26845
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Well done Malcom, what proper management is about

Malcolm, did you gralloch & inspect this beast ? I was wondering if it had Yersonosis?? or something else, it would be useful/helpful to other SD site users to know your results, and thoughts

Patrickt

Well done Malc a very hard dission to take. We are not vet,s and can never be sure if the deer would ever get right again . That was bang on the money and in my opinion if a deer is not looking or acting 100% then you really do need to think about the deer future welfare.
    PS same as Pat what did the checks reveal was she carring kids Lymph nodes swelled etc. What did you do with her.???

OOOOOhh!!! They know how to hurt in ere'!!
    Last edited by sikamalc; 09-04-2013 at 16:19. Reason: Quote related to previous post, not needed
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Lmao, nice and sharp there Glynn
    Last edited by sikamalc; 09-04-2013 at 16:20.
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Although I did inspect it for F/M and any other notifiable disease and used gloves to do so, I did not open her up, and was just glad that we had managed to get onto to her and put her out of her missery. Further more I kept my dog away from the carcase as it looked as though it was infected with lice, although it was not that obvious to see them. There were lots of bald patched on her and she was very very thin. Carcase was put in the pit.
    As it was the whole beast was a mess and we had a buck to try and get as well, which we did not achieve. However on the last knockings of light there were 6 Roe on the same field, all doe's except one buck, all looked fine, plus another 3 in the next field all doe's, and a further 4 we bumped walking back to the truck .

All looked healthy and in good condition.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

You did the right thing Malc.

I put a post up and we find yet again people posting that has nothing to do with the post and refering back to another post that has no relevance what so ever to what I have put

If there is nothing constructive to add to the thread, keep quiet.

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    You did the right thing Malc.