Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aerial Mapping Service off Farms, Estates, forestry land Etc

Aerial Mapping Service off Farms, Estates, forestry land Etc

Hi Everybody, would anyone out there be interested in 3d Aerial mapping of their stalking grounds, farms, shoots, estates etc?? Provided from an Aerial Drone which can be preprogrammed with a set flight path and take high res images on the ground which is then run through software to produce a 3d image which contours, valleys gullies etc can be seen and measured or a standard 2d map showing contours can be drawn. The camera also has enough resolution to count animals on the ground if counts are needed. This is just an inquiry stage to see if anyone would like this service, thanks
    Last edited by DeerDucksFishin; 09-04-2013 at 15:14.

I think there would be a lot of interest in this, but would be cost dependant of course.

Hi Deako, thanks for your reply this is not for a course its a service that I would provide for landowners, farmers, forestry etc so they could get a better image of their terrain and or animal numbers. regards Steve

Steve, apart from coverage, what advantage does this offer compared to commerically available LiDAR data? And how does cost compare to LiDAR?

Regards,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by stevenobrien129a View Post
    Hi Deako, thanks for your reply this is not for a course its a service that I would provide for landowners, farmers, forestry etc so they could get a better image of their terrain and or animal numbers. regards Steve
    I'll rephrase it Steve...

"I think there would be a lot of interest in this. Of course, it would depend on the price."

What are the legalities of using a drone?

From what I have seen on the internet they are classed as un-manned light aircraft, mostly, so require quite a few permissions...inc. Air Traffic Control clearance, etc.

Hi Saddler thanks for your questions if I was offering this service it would be operating on the right side of the Law that I can assure you, however you are legally allowed to fly a drone under 20kg in the uk and mine weights less than half that and is made of foam and plastic it is classed as unmanned however I have total control when it is flying, if you are taking commercial pictures you require CAA permission and you must not fly in airport boundaries which I have no interest in or within 150 metres of a congested area. I must stress we are not talking military grade drones such as those seen on the TV we are talking some commercial drones carrying little more than a battery, camera, propeller and processor smaller than remote controlled planes and helicopters regards Steve

As already asked with no reply COST?

Hi Dave LiDAR maps are fine if you can get them but they are generate using a laser at altitude where my drone generates using a camera much closer to the ground and I find much more detail can be obtained from pictures than software generated maps. Cost wise obviously cheaper as the system isn't mounted to a plane with a pilot and operator, its basically a camera mounted to a foam plane with a small processor

Asked for cost four hours ago. Not given. I'm out.