Quietest fox round

I must be going soft in my old age but do people really use .22 lr subsonic for fox shooting. If I shoot at something I prefer to kill it quickly. Do people think the .22 subsonic is man enough? I tend to use it around the garden for plinking.

Perhaps you have a big garden, but even so the dog fox who collected my 40 grain winnie sub in the nugget last night fell over on the spot.

Also is it legal to shoot fox with the .22?

It is for me, but maybe different for you.

Neil. :)

Very true.
But a badly placed .22 in the mouth ain't so good

A jaw/mouth shot with most calibers will result in a wounded fox, a poorly placed shot with a deer legal .243 will just vapourise a foxes jaw clean off!

Poorly placed shot or not, it only takes an animal the slightest turn of face, to result in your quarry starving to death for the next few days I never head shoot anything after one experience I'd rather forget, but I am definately not making a statement telling people not to head shoot just think for the more experienced of shooters and stalkers that know there quarry more than there rifle or calibre.

Last edited:
.308 subsonic with a 200gr bullet. Not a lot louder than .22rf subsonic but a lot more whollop. Similar trajectory and ricochet risk though. I would be interested to hear if any of you guys can recommend a .30 cal bullet that expands at subsonic velocities.

Who are "they"?
old wives tale.

I use the same mod on 6 calibres 2 of which are .222 and .243
no such thing as unburnt powder, there may be powder residue from the 3gr charge of Lil'gun in the rimfires but it is swiftly blown out the end of the moderator by 40gr of N160 going off!
I'm sorry to say it's not an old wives tale. A few years back I had a ruger 22 magnum which I bought a t8 moderator for. I shot hundreds of round through it with no issues and sold it on to my local rfd. A few months later I was in the shop when the owner showed me what remained of the moderator. There was about a 2 inch hole in the side of the moderator which had peeled open like a tin can. They man that bought the rifle said it went off like a black cat firework!. Luckily no one was hurt. The manufacturer said it shouldn't have been used on a rimfire because of this. I know the centre fire powder might burn it off but this mod was used for nothing but rimfire which I was wrongly told would be ok for purpose. I couldn't believe the damage it did to the moderator- very scary to say the least.

+1 for 300 whisper/300blk. .22 quiet but with 220 grains of hurt!

how about .510" Whisper its England & Wales deer legal to at 1800ftlbs (tho at 1050fps not Scotland legal) 750gr bullet is the light option ;) 13mm dia its pre expanded :lol:

just bought one of the above had it screw cut and modded very quiet indeed

im hopeing the new 20 Tac will be even quieter regards pete

nup :)

has longer legs and will still hit like an express train..................20 turns a rabbit into a glove puppet.............even at 200 yards.

bob.

ps: have you not got it yet ?

nup :)

has longer legs and will still hit like an express train..................20 turns a rabbit into a glove puppet.............even at 200 yards.

bob.

ps: have you not got it yet ?

bob not got her yet been for final fit of the stock so hopefully not too long now
I was on a pheasant shoot couple of weeks back talking to a guy who shoots one
he was raving about his
regards pete

WELL 22lr ?? I reckon charlie Deserves a minimum 222 out of respect for all the sport he has given us over . the years, that way There's NO RUNNING No Second shots no pain , JUST GONE,,

bob not got her yet been for final fit of the stock so hopefully not too long now
I was on a pheasant shoot couple of weeks back talking to a guy who shoots one
he was raving about his
regards pete

well pete i love mine to bits and as they said on the film,

this is my rifle there are many other like it but this one is mine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,dead cold fingers

you will love it, mine is just 20" and it still makes me think what a rifle when you drop a long shot :), mind you a mate on here has run me close with a 222 running 32 gr heads, but he is still 90 yards behind me as yet.

bob.

WELL 22lr ?? I reckon charlie Deserves a minimum 222 out of respect for all the sport he has given us over . the years, that way There's NO RUNNING No Second shots no pain , JUST GONE,,

Only with proper shot placement.
I choose to use 22Hornet most of the time, and have never had one do anything except fall over, but I know the day
I mess up one will run, just the same as if it had been a much bigger calibre.
Up close a .22lr sub through the brain drops them on the spot, even a boiler room shot will kill at 50 yards, but it still isn't a proper fox calibre.
(as said earlier, I use .22lr at times because it is the rifle at hand, but it has to be a sensible shot)

Neil. :)

Use to think the .222 with a good moderator till I got a .20 VarTarg.
Using 18gr of powder with a 39gr BK doing 3300 ft/sec deadly accurate a very quiet.

John

Back