Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seasons. Can you tell me why?

Seasons. Can you tell me why?

I've got started early on my revision and I have copied the seasons on the first page of my note book. I've noticed with that all the male deer an be taken from summer to spring. (Aug1-apr30 (cwd slightly different nov1-mar31)) except that is the muntjac which are all year round and then the roe which are strange. The roe bucks can be taken from spring to autumn or April1st - oct31.

Why? Am I missing something obvious?

Please note I know the Scottish dates are different. But the seasons are similar.
    Last edited by seanct; 10-04-2013 at 07:25.

Have a read of this from the BASC:

Deer seasons
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

There's a really goo dbook by Norma Chapman called 'deer'. Here's a link to Amazon where you can get a copy for 1p plus 2.80 postage:

Deer (Norma Chapman)
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Have a read of this from the BASC: Deer seasons
    thats where I found the dates and I have seen that it says that its related to the breeding cycle. I'm confused as to why male roe are different in that you can shoot them from spring until autumn. Why does their breeding cycle differ?

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    There's a really goo dbook by Norma Chapman called 'deer'. Here's a link to Amazon where you can get a copy for 1p plus 2.80 postage: Deer (Norma Chapman)
    ​purchased. Thankyou.

Arent the seasons for bucks and stags generally timed as such due to times gone by where shooting trophies seemed more of a priority than population control etc? Was discussed by a BDS bloke a few years back, sort of makes sense..

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    Arent the seasons for bucks and stags generally timed as such due to times gone by where shooting trophies seemed more of a priority than population control etc? Was discussed by a BDS bloke a few years back, sort of makes sense..
    thank you. I thought it was odd. So this suggests roe bucks antlers will be at their largest at the back end of the season. I'm new to all this so expect more daft questions as I research for the dsc.

In Sweden there is generally no hunting during the breeding period for moose or roes (dont know about fallow and reds...) ....
    Which is for us a high peak of hunting, with a lot of techniques (calls) we use....
    Confusing...
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanct View Post
    thats where I found the dates and I have seen that it says that its related to the breeding cycle. I'm confused as to why male roe are different in that you can shoot them from spring until autumn. Why does their breeding cycle differ?
    Because the roe breeding cycle is different to other deer.

The roe rut is typically mid-July to mid-August. Put simply, roe are unique amongst deer in that they exhibit embryonic diapause, or delayed implantation. So although the rut is in July-August the foetus doesn't start developing in the females until January. Between fertilisation and development the egg remains in a state whereby it doesn't develop - that's what's meant by diapause. If roe followed the typical gestation period for deer then the young roe would appear during the winter/spring when mortality would be higher. By delaying development of the foetus it means that they are born in May/June, a far better time for kids to arrive into the world!

In a similar way, roe bucks also develop antlers at different times of the year to other deer - this is why we see them in velvet over the winter and spring when their antlers are growing, and why the hairs on the velvet on their antlers are typically longer than for other deer (because it's cold in winter).

There's a lot more scientific detail to the above which are well worth reading - it's all part of what makes deer so fascinating!

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by seanct View Post
    Because they are of different species.
    Muntjac for example have a nine-month breeding cycle so come to maturity and breeding condition at different times of year.
    Roe have a period of delayed implantation which effectively lengthens their time.

HWH.