Thread: Replacement Pup

Replacement Pup

I have just purchased a Lab pup to replace the one that tried taking on a train, she is 10 months old and seems to have spent a lot of time in a pen as that is the only place she will pee and crap.

Does anyone have an idea how to get her to relieve herself when out on a walk and not in her pen.

It is early days yet but I had her on the yard on Saturday and she went back in her pen for a crap, I could fasten her out of her pen when I am around but when I am not around I still think that is where she will go.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

could try walking her with another dog. or in a area that is well used by other dog walkers.

I have 3 other dogs thanks anyway

Could you remove her from the pen environment all together? Might take a while, and there might be mess to clear up occasionally, but it ought to work.....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

What do you mean by pen? Is it something you can move outside? Slowly remove it from where she gets used to?

She is in an outside pen with a 3' x 3' box and a 6' x 4' mesh sided run and the other dogs are in the same size pens next to her.

I took on a rescue dog some years ago that had been kept permanently in a back bedroom and beaten regularly, so she'd only go indoors and them go hysterical, expecting us to beat her. The only way I could break her from it was to change her routine from my other dogs.
    essentially I'd delay her feeding until sure she was hungry then after feeding, take her immediately to a spot that I wanted her to go in. Her natural instinct should be to at least piss afterwards but it may take some time for her to get desperate enough to do so. Take a book, just quietly wait without giving any stimulus to her and then make a big fuss of her when she eventually does go.

​another technique I've seen work if she only goes in one area of the run is to lay paper there. Once she's comfortable messing on the paper, move it in stages to and out of the run.

Try putting her so she ONLY has access to the sleeping quarters(this is easy if your box has a door) and NO access to the pen. Time it so when she is due to do the toilet take her without delay to the area you wish to use as the toilet, as she starts to do the toilet overlay a command. Keep the times of this regular( no pun intended)

Keith take the dog for regular walks and the dog will start to get used to crapping outside the run eventually it won't hardly crap in the run
    ​ Atb tom