Has anyone ever tried this ????

cervushunter

This might seem really silly but has anyone ever tried using a life size imitation of a deer to bring them closer ??
Not a wind up , honest.

no but :eek: why not every other type of hunting do's ! why not try it and tell us how it went, if you wish to dress up as a deer there are plenty of santa's little helper outfits to hire this time of year :tiphat:sorry just had to?

Last edited:
I've seen a Jim Shockey video where he uses a moose head cut out during the rut. I also used to know a chap in Sussex who used a couple of the life sized fallow photo targets as decoys, I never saw them in action but he was a knowledgeable and experienced stalker so I have no reason to doubt him.

I'd love to see someone in a Sika Hind costume during the Rut! You'd get close alright! Intimately close!!!!!:lol:
MS

Actually just had a thought I would need to buy a horse box to transport it :-|
And no way am I ringing anywhere asking for a blow up deer :eek:

I think if it was Roe Deer you would need the cut out to move roe deer dont normally both with things that stand still its movment and shape they go by. Just a though i could be wrong.

amount of poaching round here it would be full of holes if left out overnight. that may be a good thing though using up poachers ammo.

I've not used one, but it does remind me of a stalk a couple of years ago with 243varmint off this Site.

It was during the roe rut and we'd seen a nice buck in a field. We stalked to the gateway into the field but the buck was pretty determined to make it's way to the far side of the field, browsing as it went. Jon and I decided to start after it, only for us to get halfway across when the buck turned round and spotted us. Jon, myself and Fallow, my lab, dropped to the ground and froze, at which point said buck made a bee-line straight for us as though it was on elastic, presumably because it thought this dark shape in the field might be a receptive doe.

When it got about 125 yards away it must have realised the error of it's ways, at which point it turned broadside on and I whispered - or perhaps shouted - "shoot the bugger"! Jon executed the perfect shot and that was another buck in the bag. Somewhere on here there's the full write up and photos.

willie_gunn

Back