Thread: Rebarreling

Rebarreling

I am considering rebarreling my .243 to 6x47 lapua, even though they are both 6mm do I need a variation?

Chambering/Cartridge should have no effect on your fac, the rules are supposed to be based on calibre/Bullet dimension, but again we are in the hands of those who make up rules as they go along.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

My experience suggests that unless the rifle and ammunition are currently described simply as '6mm' on your FAC, you'll have to
    1. Transfer the rifle to the person doing the work
    2. Inform FLD of the transfer
    3. Apply for one-for-one variation of .243Win to 6x47mm
    4. Await new FAC with vacant 6mm slot
    5. when it arrives, pick up rifle from 'smith, get it written on FAC and inform FLD.

Not forgetting to do something similar, if not exactly the same, with the mod (if any): as well as getting rid of .243Win ammunition held, unless you've another .243Win, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumbrian 1 View Post
    I am considering rebarreling my .243 to 6x47 lapua, even though they are both 6mm do I need a variation?
    Just out of interest, why would you want to change 243 to 6x47 Lapua, the 243 will do everything the 6x47 will do and more.

Ian.

I like my rifles to be dual use i.e. for target and stalking, and I like to use heavy for calibre bullets and would like something faster than the standard 1:10 twist probably 1:8, I am also looking to acquire a custom 6.5 x 47 lapua, therefore I could buy lapua brass in bulk and use for either. Also the shorter podwer column and small rifle primer is suppose to be more efficient, less podwer, longer barrel life etc.

.243 is a fine cartridge and its one big plus is that you can find ammo anywhere this is especially useful when shooting abroad, I'm quite sure if my 6 x 47lapua ammo goes amiss your not going to pick anyup, so I haven't fully decided yet but one thing for certain I'm going to have the chamber built for one type of bullet to suit my magazine length.