Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Culling Sick Roe Doe out of season

Culling Sick Roe Doe out of season

I was out with the dog earlier today, near to farmland I shoot over, when the dog put up a Roe Doe from a thick patch of brambles, the Doe was moving slowly and looked confused, she ran/staggered about 60yds, crashed into some bushes and I had to physically push her back up onto her feet and set her going again. She had a bald patch on the back of the neck and looked underweight and generally unwell. I wasn't carrying a gun as I don't shoot over this land but I can shoot the farmland next door (boundary about 100yds away) I no longer carry a knife on me as I did as a boy, as it seems to be illegal nowadays.
    The question is:
    Can I shoot this obviously sick animal out of season? and if I do will I need to inform anyone? and what to do with the carcass?

Any other helpful advice is welcome
    Thanks

yes you can, you are not shooting out of season, you are dispatching a sick animal and officially 'preventing suffering'. no need to inform anyone, and have a farmer throw the carcass in with his 'fallen livestock'.

it is only right of your to do so, and good on you for recognising the need, that's what deer management is about. when you've culled her, go shoot a nice buck to reward yourself for the good work

cull her and pass to the landowner or give notice that the carcass should be disposed of. If you can let the land owner know first that is a good way to make sure there is no confusion in your intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    cull her and pass to the landowner or give notice that the carcass should be disposed of. If you can let the land owner know first that is a good way to make sure there is no confusion in your intentions.
    I wouldn't want to inconvenience the landowner if I can help it - I doubt they would thank me for lumbering them with a diseased deer carcass to dispose of.
    Can I just dig a hole on the farm and bury it without enquiring into the cause of illness?
    Last edited by Buckaroo8; 10-04-2013 at 19:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo8 View Post
    I wouldn't want to inconvenience the landowner if I can help it - I doubt they would thank me for lumbering them with a diseased deer carcass to dispose of.
    Can I just dig a hole on the farm and bury it without enquiring into the cause of death?
    if you do, use a hole 1m deep and not near a waterway, but to honest, I'd imagine the landowner would be quite understanding and be only happy to allow access to their dead pit.

Quote Originally Posted by pietasvenatores View Post
    if you do, use a hole 1m deep and not near a waterway, but to honest, I'd imagine the landowner would be quite understanding and be only happy to allow access to their dead pit.
    Alright, thanks. They don't have livestock so no dead pit unfortunately...so it'll probably be a shovel job for me this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by pietasvenatores View Post
    Dead pit is a thing of the past these days - officially. Big trouble if you get caught burying any farm animal. All now has to be collected (and payed for).

very ture vss, all dead farms animals have to be taken away,and there paper work(passports) have to be filled out with the details to. around 80 pound to have a sheep or pig taken away

This of course does not apply to wild animals,common sense on disposal should be considered,also it does not come under H&H as it is a humane dispatch and may be buried or fox donated..be wary of any approach to badger setts as you can be done for interference!

Dispatching a sick animal and then disposing of it. Not what i would do on land were i had no permision. The other landowner should be told before the animal is culled if possible or as soon as possible after. It will be up to you to prove that the animal was in such a condition to warrant putting down. Try proving that with a carcase in a hole. If i have culled injured or sick animals i try and take pictures first or contact a friend to verify what i am doing. After the animal has been dispatched i look to see if there is anything noticeable on the exterior and the interior of the carcase. Some times it is obvious what was wrong sometimes not. But if you do not look you will never know. Please follow best practice when dealing with an injured or sick deer.

Page 8 and 29 http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...ing-Urban-Deer