Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: parallax

parallax

hi, i took my rifle into a my local gunsmith for screw cutting, when i was there i got chatting and he said because im used a fixed focus scope (6x42)
    i would need to find where the gun and scope are parallaxing, other wise i will have problems with my groupings.
    do i need to worry about this and if i do how do a find this out
    many thanks for your help
    atb
    simon

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I wouldn't be concerned, there are plenty of people who use a fixed scope and I'd bet that 99% are zeroed at 100m (or an inch high at 100m).

I was told a few years ago that fixed (Schmidt/Swarovski/Zeiss) European scopes are parallax set at 100m for this reason.

There are also variable scopes that have no parallax turret and again, there is no problem either grouping or zeroing. If you are concerned, if your scope is a Schmidt I know you can send them to the factory an ask for be parallax to be set at whatever distance you wish, I believe for about 130.

Did the dealer show you a nice new scope by any chance?
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Maybe the gunsmith getting in first in case your accuracy has suffered from the screw cutting.

lol no he wasnt trying to sell me a scope, hes just a small gun smith working out his gargae/workshop, he is a very techenical person though.
    just woundered if it really made a difference or not

Quote Originally Posted by simon1979 View Post
    ... wondered if it really made a difference or not
    Depends on (a) you & your expectations and (b) what range you zero / shoot at.

I range check mine at "only" 50 yards (much to many people's horror but 1st round is always on further out) but aim to get a group of about 0.25 inches or so from the 22-250. I used a "crap" fixed power 8x56 S&B and a N750 digital scope. The latter shoots the best groups! No idea why! I also try to keep the image centred (no "black" shadows) and it seems to work.

I've owned a variety of parallax correcting 'scopes (Leupold 8.5-25x50, Burris "something silly" - 32x50, Bausch and Lomb plus a Chinese Vortex) and to be honest if you do your bit they all work well but not much better than the S&B. Note that rubbish 'scopes are just rubbish and nothing will make them work better: I've a Weaver in that class somewhere under a pile of other junk.

thanks for the info, i wont worry to much about it at the moment, i like to keep things nice and easy
    many thanks
    simon

Quote Originally Posted by simon1979 View Post
    hi, i took my rifle into a my local gunsmith for screw cutting, when i was there i got chatting and he said because im used a fixed focus scope (6x42)
    i would need to find where the gun and scope are parallaxing, other wise i will have problems with my groupings.
    do i need to worry about this and if i do how do a find this out
    many thanks for your help
    atb
    simon
    get another gun smith parallax is optical eror if you move your head up and down asyou look throe your scope cross hair is in fixed point if it moves you have parallax eror which means if you dont get your head and eye in the same point every time you sholder your gun point of aim will move guns and scopes do not parallax together you have to get your bore and sight on the same level ie shiming the back of a scope to get it level with the bore etc so paralaxing has nothing to do with your gun just the opticks

Quote Originally Posted by wraith View Post
    get another gun smith parallax is optical eror if you move your head up and down asyou look throe your scope cross hair is in fixed point if it moves you have parallax eror which means if you dont get your head and eye in the same point every time you sholder your gun point of aim will move guns and scopes do not parallax together you have to get your bore and sight on the same level ie shiming the back of a scope to get it level with the bore etc so paralaxing has nothing to do with your gun just the opticks
    +1

I used to shoot air rifles in competitions and any parallax error was due to not getting your head in the correct position each time. This can happen with pretty much any fixed pa scope not just fixed mag.

Zeiss scopes without parallax adjustment are parallax free at 100m (with the exception of the old Diasport, which is 50m). Parallax as someone stated is optical, not the gun. (Parallax = the apparent difference in the position or direction of an object when viewed from different positions. e.g through a viewfinder)

Correct re parallax, most top end scopes are set to be parallax free at 100m. I had my Kassnar Beta 3 repallaxed by action optics years ago (cost 18) so I could use it on an air rifle. Nick Jenkinson did an article on this very subject in AGW many years ago, its something you could do yourself if you are confident. Mave be of use if you were to fit a top end scope to and airrifle when the parallax would need to be adjusted.

My Leupold Mk4 is very critical on eye position and even when on x14 at 100 yds the parallaxs can be quite critical. Doesnt lend itself to quick night time fox shooting but very good in daylight when you have a bit more time.

D