Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will It Make A Difference

Will It Make A Difference

I have been getting someone to reload for me. I have noticed that some of the bullet heads are about a quarter of an inch further into the casing. Will this affect performance?

A quarter of an inch?? that seems like a ridiculous amount

Oh Christ yes.

I'd not fire them and ask you "mate" to fix it.

I've seen the effects of too little attention to detail before and fortunately no one was hurt...only the bullets that had been crushed.

I'd "panic" on my own reloads it this was 1/32" let alone 1/4" as it'll push the pressure up quite a bit and make the rifle shoot like a scattergun as a minimum and possible do something much more nasty.

Are you saying there is a variance between the different loaded cases in one batch of up to a quarter of an inch? Or this is the difference between one batch and another? Either way, if its the same bullets getting used that is a huge change in depth

Interestingly I measured 20 Winchester factory .222 cartridges just the other day . . the variables were unbelievable . .

The shortest COAL was 2049 . . the longest was 2068 . . . quite a margin by any standards.

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Are you saying there is a variance between the different loaded cases in one batch of up to a quarter of an inch? Or this is the difference between one batch and another? Either way, if its the same bullets getting used that is a huge change in depth
    It is the same batch. Back to factory ammo I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Taystalker View Post
    I have been getting someone to reload for me. I have noticed that some of the bullet heads are about a quarter of an inch further into the casing. Will this affect performance?
    sounds like the guy needs a lesson on how to reload consistantly

The answer is to load it yourself ,use his kit by all means but do it yourself ,if necessary take instruction from a knowledgeable reloader.Never trust anyone elses' reloads --- it's your life at stake.Just as well you noticed it and even better you asked on here,the life /injury caused could have been yours ---- or even worse ,someone elses.
    Last edited by waterford103; 10-04-2013 at 20:30. Reason: typo

I'm pretty new to reloading, but I can't see how you could get that much variation, unless you were pushing them in with your teeth!

Was the brass trimmed? could it be that some of the apparent variation is in case length? even then it doesn't make sense though.

I have noticed that some brass hardly "grows" at all where as other manufacturer's grows a lot..