Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Training a gundog pup for deer. Advice please

Training a gundog pup for deer. Advice please

I'm thinking about getting a labrador pup to train as a gundog( i have trained 3 in the past). I would also like to train it to track deer (no experience of this). Any tips as to how i go about this? Do i train it as a gundog and then introduce it to deer or do i just incorporate the tracking into the general training? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Frank

Hi Frank, I can only tell you from my own expectancies, do the track work first and start as soon as you get your pup with food association with scent or blood, then do the retriever work later.

Best peice if advice I can offer is speak to someone who knows what they're doing. I had a lot of help from a fellow SD member. Also buy and read the Niels Sonderj-whatever book "training dogs for deer" - again I was advised this by the same SD member and it's an awesome book!

Frank, I would also suggest going on a dogs for deer course. You don't need to have a dog with you to attend but they do give a lot of practical insight and will set you on the right track, please forgive the Unintended pun.

if you train your dog on birds first you will have to wait a long time for it to mature before you can move to deer. I would suggest as per the other post you just train for deer work only or else your dog will be distracted by game birds whenever out.

i am sure there will be somebody on here that may live locally to you that would be more than happy to give mentoring advise as you progress.
    Last edited by prometheus; 11-04-2013 at 11:03.

Frank, only to please to help send me a pm with your number,
    i have been running dogs for deer courses with NGO and bds for some years now.

​tony

BMH society will be a Gamekeepers fair this weekend at Catton if its not too far would be worth coming up to speak to them

If you cant make Catton give the Bavarian Mountain Hound society a call, they may be able to help you they are run tracking training twice a month every month. they should be able to help you.

It seems to be a popular opinion on this site to train your dog to deer first and then onto birds later, it makes some sense to me but how far should their (tracking) training have advanced before starting retriever training?? How long does it take to train a deer dog before you even start on birds? Also, what else do you train? Surely one or two tracks per week is more than enough to keep a dog interested?

I'm not arguing that you should train for birds first, just wondering about timescales etc.

Listen to Tony before the Bavarian mountain hound society.
    He knows more than them..
    Sorry,that's the truth.
    PM myself as well if you wish.

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by Shabz View Post
    It seems to be a popular opinion on this site to train your dog to deer first and then onto birds later, it makes some sense to me but how far should their (tracking) training have advanced before starting retriever training?? How long does it take to train a deer dog before you even start on birds? Also, what else do you train? Surely one or two tracks per week is more than enough to keep a dog interested?

I'm not arguing that you should train for birds first, just wondering about timescales etc.
    Shabz,every dog different.
    A lab has an inbuilt desire to retrieve,very very unlucky to get one which won't retrieve.
    Tracking-not every one will track.Especially if of birdy parents and introduced to game first.Just makes the tracking job harder.

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports