Thread: Help required please...

Help required please...

Morning all

im looking to get a nice fox head on a mount...i shoot a good number of foxes each year but have never had one mounted..

after ive shot a good one what are my next steps?? do i freeze it, or just bag it up..

im in the Manchester area so could anyone reccomend a good taxidermy in my area??

Thanks in advance for any Help

Rich.

Rich,

Once you have shot your fox, try and clean most of the blood off the pelt. If it coagulates on the fur it can be more work to get it out on a good winter coat fox.

Once you have done this, with clean water, dry off with paper towels, put a paper towel in its mouth to stop any fluids coming out and then wrap well in plastic and freeze. Dont keep it in there over a year if you can help it as the ears and nose tend to get freezer burn and this makes it very hard to part the ear from the cartlidge when you skin it.

As for a good taxidermist in Manchester I am not sure, but if you can get further north to Yorkshire Gary Tatterton is excellant.

Good luck

Sikamalc
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    Rich,

Once you have shot your fox, try and clean most of the blood off the pelt. If it coagulates on the fur it can be more work to get it out on a good winter coat fox.

Once you have done this, with clean water, dry off with paper towels, put a paper towel in its mouth to stop any fluids coming out and then wrap well in plastic and freeze. Dont keep it in there over a year if you can help it as the ears and nose tend to get freezer burn and this makes it very hard to part the ear from the cartlidge when you skin it.

As for a good taxidermist in Manchester I am not sure, but if you can get further north to Yorkshire Gary Tatterton is excellant.

Good luck

Sikamalc

Thanks for that...if im going to drop it off the next day do i still need to freeze it?? or do i let it go cold in the garage..

Rich.

the faster you can freeze it the better , what people dont realise is that it doesnt take long for bacteria to start its breaking down process , dont forget that once its left your hands it still needs work to be carried out ie skinning , ear lip eyelid spliting, this all takes time and time is always ticking away ,it doesnt take long for the hair to 'slip' , so my advise is freeze it straight away after taking heed of sikamalcs good advise,best of luck and happy hunting ,arron. ps if its only 12 hrs or so before delivery i think it will be fine but any longer freeze it .
    Last edited by arron; 11-04-2013 at 21:30.

try dave at hollingworth hes good ill pm you his number

phil.

Freeze it asap and make sure it's clean. Try Steve Newcombe 07792 120141, he was World Game Head Champion in 2012.
    Adrian

Taxidermist recommendation = Andy Denson in Padiham, nr Blackburn.

www.andydenson.co.uk
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Phil Leggett is in Manchester: www.taxidermy-uk.net, Philip Leggett, Providing a High quality Taxidermy to the discerning client.

I have only used Phil for fish. I know he does some nice African work as well, and his website shows fox, badger, etc.

​willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!