Thread: The Kingdom of Roe (Fife)

The Kingdom of Roe (Fife)

I had a drive into Fife today, work and pleasure, the pleasure part came from seeing the many Roe in the middle of fields during daylight. (Not so common up with us).
    During the drive in I counted 15 with two happily munching winter wheat within sight of the farm - I thought they'll not last long!
    On the return journey I counted 20, with the two wheat munchers now four and even closer to the farm house .

I went up after roe in November and stayed in Abernethy, and we stalked not far from the sea. I have never seen so many roe!

I also found out how perverse roe could be. It was raining and with quite a cold wind blowing, so obviously you would think (so I stupidly thought) that the roe would all be tucked up in the lee of woods, out of the direct wind and heavy rain. No! They were everywhere, on one of the most exposed hills on the coast we saw a nice group of roe grazing out in the full force of the wind. Obviously Scottish roe are tough and not like the soft southern roe I am used to. When we had stalked up to where the roe had been, crafty little blighters had long gone, we found that they had been grazing on clover. So it seems that the clover was obviously worth the exposure to the elements. But there were other roe grazing on hedgerows and down the tramlines just about everywhere we drove. What a wonderful place.

It was a great holiday!

Simon

I've been driving from Lanarkshire to Burntisland for the past couple of weeks,most morning see between 10 to 20 but on Tuesday saw 31 ,will need to try to stop looking as my eyes seem to be more in the fields than on road ,I'm leaving in the the morning at 6 o'clock so the all out

I stalk in Fife,, and it`s crap,, no deer about at all rubbish really and not worth the trip !!

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post
    I stalk in Fife,, and it`s crap,, no deer about at all rubbish really and not worth the trip !!
    Very good
    Galloway Deer Stalking

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    I went up after roe in November and stayed in Abernethy, and we stalked not far from the sea. I have never seen so many roe!

I also found out how perverse roe could be. It was raining and with quite a cold wind blowing, so obviously you would think (so I stupidly thought) that the roe would all be tucked up in the lee of woods, out of the direct wind and heavy rain. No! They were everywhere, on one of the most exposed hills on the coast we saw a nice group of roe grazing out in the full force of the wind. Obviously Scottish roe are tough and not like the soft southern roe I am used to. When we had stalked up to where the roe had been, crafty little blighters had long gone, we found that they had been grazing on clover. So it seems that the clover was obviously worth the exposure to the elements. But there were other roe grazing on hedgerows and down the tramlines just about everywhere we drove. What a wonderful place.

It was a great holiday!

Simon
    Not all southern roe are softies Simon.

Here is a Welsh roe getting saoking........

ATB

Jon

Who were you stalking with Simon?

I would guess birkhill Johnny