Thread: Dsc 2

Dsc 2

Gentlemen - I am a DSC 1 holder thinking about doing DSC 2. The process looks at first glance, quite involved and expensive.

Can someone please tell me what EXACTLY I can do with level 2 that I can't do with level 1 please.

Many thanks.

hi mate i have only 1 icr left to do and have really enjoyed doing my level 1-2 i have and looking for more syndicate ground so need level 2 so i dont lose my first syndicate as i only have a year to gain my level 2. if you are planning on gaining a syndicate ground level 2 will help. it all depends on what you want i felt learning and getting to my level 2 is worthwhile and it only gets expensive if you choose the wrong ground or go trophy hunting to gain your 3 icrs. does hinds are cheap as well as cull stuff or if you have good ground already with a good success rate then it will be only for minimal costs, hope that has helped a little but what are you expecting from level 2 ?, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by Rutland lad View Post
    Gentlemen - I am a DSC 1 holder thinking about doing DSC 2. The process looks at first glance, quite involved and expensive.

Can someone please tell me what EXACTLY I can do with level 2 that I can't do with level 1 please.

Many thanks.
    Rutland lad, If you were to take notice of Forestry Commission leases coming up for tender you will notice that they ask for you to have "Level 1 DSC and to be actively working towards DSC2." I belong to a local DMG which also insists upon you actively working toards your DSC2 if you do not already hold it. I know of some places in Scotland who will allow you to operate alone, without a stalker, if you possess your DSC2.

More and more, as time progresses, stalking that comes up for tender has the caveat that you possess the DSC2.

I have recently recieved my DSC2 qualification and thought it well worth the effort.

​Simon

As Simon says, it's handy if you want a lease that asks for DSC II. At least having the certificate will get you on the short list. More generally, it's a step on the road to be being a better stalker. Certainly that's how my Dad saw it when he told me to get my DSC I/II. He got his DSC I/II more than 60 years after he shot his first stag and at 88 he's still learning and still pursuing stags. One of the fascinating things about stalking is that there is always a little bit more to learn. I've been out with a number of folk off this Forum recently and each time I go out on a new piece of ground with a new stalker I learn a little. Even meeting some of the folk at events like the Stalking Fair, you realise how little you know and what a wealth of expertise there is out there.

Doing DSC II is just one way of meeting folk and learning a little more about stalking, but the meeting folk and learning should never stop.

​Best regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    As Simon says, it's handy if you want a lease that asks for DSC II. At least having the certificate will get you on the short list. More generally, it's a step on the road to be being a better stalker. Certainly that's how my Dad saw it when he told me to get my DSC I/II. He got his DSC I/II more than 60 years after he shot his first stag and at 88 he's still learning and still pursuing stags. One of the fascinating things about stalking is that there is always a little bit more to learn. I've been out with a number of folk off this Forum recently and each time I go out on a new piece of ground with a new stalker I learn a little. Even meeting some of the folk at events like the Stalking Fair, you realise how little you know and what a wealth of expertise there is out there.

Doing DSC II is just one way of meeting folk and learning a little more about stalking, but the meeting folk and learning should never stop.

​Best regards JCS
    How apt and well put!

My local DMG has some very well educated and interesting people and I have learnt a huge amount from them as well as having a marvellous and very funny time with them.

Simon

I used to live in Rutland! Level 2 is really the practical side of things to prove that you can actually do it! DSC1 can be done without ever having taken a deer and for that reason DSC2 is "proof" that you are a capable trained hunter.
    Richard

Deer Diary

Well said JCS, I certainly learned a lot from yourself, and Iam truly grateful for your help and guidance. It is only with folk like you that we ,who have not achieved our level 2 yet, or are awaiting the letter on the doormat confirming the same realise how important it is to have friends/mentors who are willing to give their instinting time (most of the time with no costs) to help others on this site to acheive their level 2

Thank you

patrickt

Quote Originally Posted by Rutland lad View Post

Many thanks.
    1. Pragmatically, simply as an entry ticket to potentially better land and leases. 18,000 people have completed their DSC1; only 4,000 have completed their DSC2. It is always good to have an advantage over others - after all, we live in a competitive world, where landowners have to go through 'Due Diligence' in their decision-making process. Naturally they are more likely to apoint a DCS2 stalker than a DSC1 stalker (all other things being equal).
    2. To gain experience and confidence under the supervision of the AW's you use.
    3. To get on new unfamiliar land (if on the AW's land) and learn different tactics/stalk different species than your usual.
    4. I also have no doubt that when applying for variations to your FAC, having completed the DSC2 will be helpful.

My experience is that the most economical route to the DSC2 is to book yourself in for a full day with a highly regarded professional stalker/AW with excellent land and pay the fee, rather than try lots of little stalks with your friendly local AW and pay 40-50 a go and have lots of blanks. With a bit of luck you will complete two ICR's in one day - so you're 2/3 there.
    Good luck.

Thanks chaps - that's cleared up a few things I didn't know.

I'll get the process underway as soon as possible.

Many thanks.