Rifle scope in suitcase... ok ?!?!

Jonher

Hi,

May friend is going over to the US soon and said he would get me the scope I've been look ing at whilst he's over there.

Is it okay to bring one back in your suitcase, or is it a restricted item and is there a high chance he will be stopped?

Cheers
Jonathan

I brought a couple of scopes back from the States a couple of years ago. I put them into my hand luggage on the basis that if there were any ‘issues’ I wanted to be on the spot & not unceremoniously hauled off a plane

There is no problem at the US end & in the UK, a scope isn’t a controlled item so your friend shouldn’t have any difficulties

A mate of mine brought three scopes home from New york couple of years ago. Very cheep over there...
He had no probs with them in his suitcase..
still would check with your athorities , or the security on the way out. you wouldnt want to spend a few hundred dollars and have it taken ....

What it the issue here? A scope is not part of a firearm, so what type of 'restrictions' are the concern?

I have brought several Leupold scopes, lots of reloading equipment (including a turret press), a portable high seat :eek:, a shooting bench :eek: :eek: , a synthetic stock, several knives and more camo than you can shake a stick at back from the US over the years.

Is the question whether (a) it will be damaged, (b) you will be charged duty, (c) you will exceed your luggage weight restrictions or (d) you might be treated like a terrorist?

My experience suggests the answer is "No" to all of the above (although it was touch and go on (c) with the turret press). You stand more chance of being stopped with a new set of golfclubs ;)

willie_gunn

Folks

Since 9/11, the US have been very chary about allowing the exports of 'weapons of war'. End user certificates being needed for such items.

Amazingly, this also includes scopes with mil-dot or stadia reticles - which is why many US companies no longer sell scopes by post abroad.

Be aware of the potential consequences if your friend is stopped at the border on the way out. UK customs will just hit him for vat and import duty.

Rgds

Ian

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies.

To clarify, I've heard that scopes are now considered firearm parts and can't be carried in hand-luggage, so I was wondering how this would be viewed if taken in your suitcase! :eek:

My friend is good enough to make the offer to bring one over for me, I just don't want him to have any problems with check-in/security as we know how OTT the US is when it comes to airport security at the moment!

From the above it looks as though bringing one back in a suitcase should be no problem :D

Thank again!

Jonathon

Restrictions on scopes sounds like an urban myth to me, although if anyone has a link to any factual information I'd be grateful to see it.

I'd suggest you call the airline first and check with them. They will probably tell you it's down to the TSA (Transportation Security Administration), who handle all the the security at airports in the US. You should be able to reach them on TSA-ContactCenter@dhs.gov or 001-866-289-9673. You will be more likely to get a response by calling them than emailing them.

If you check their website you will find this advice:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

and this interesting story....

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/gunparts_n_laptop.shtm

I have travelled to the US multiple times since 9/11 and never had any problems. As I mentioned before, I (and a number of my colleagues) have brought back all manner of kit, including scopes, stocks and other parts. The only questioning I've ever faced was being asked what sort of hunting I did ;)

How long is your friend in the US for? Also, is he staying in hotels or friends? The reason I ask is that it is often worth ordering via mail order in the US as then (providing your mailing address is in a different state) you can avoid state sales tax, although sometimes the postage charges can be more. Otherwise, check out Cabela's website and see if there is a store near where your friend is going to be. You can normally pre-order and have it ready for pickup.

Have fun!

willie_gunn

Having just flown back from the states on Sunday, I can say that as long as it is in your checked luggage it is ok.

This is not because I got away with it this is because I spoke to both the TSA and ATF whist out there before I brought anything back.

Stand Buck said:
Having just flown back from the states on Sunday, I can say that as long as it is in your checked luggage it is ok.

This is not because I got away with it this is because I spoke to both the TSA and ATF whist out there before I brought anything back.

Standbuck,

Thank you, thats exactly the info. I was after.

Thanks guys :D

I get a lot of gear through ebay.com (usa) and I have a regular contact that sends items across. For 'sporting' scopes unless it is Night Vision or Thermal there is no problem.

Have you friend post back the scope marked as 'gift' and to the value of $25 which avoids import duty as a low value gift. Make sure he puts plenty of bubble wrap round it and sends it priority airmail.

The item could possibly be damaged in shipping but I've never had a priority item marked or lost yet. Good luck!

Have you friend post back the scope marked as 'gift' and to the value of $25 which avoids import duty as a low value gift. Make sure he puts plenty of bubble wrap round it and sends it priority airmail.

That is illegal as it is a deliberate attempt to EVADE UK Customs Duty. If you did have a problem it could result in a conviction for an offence of "dishonesty" that may have consequences regarding your FAC.

Also if the item is lost or damaged how are you going to explain that you are claiming US $XXX for an item that the shipper has described on the value as only US $X value?

It is better to be honest and whilst marking it as a gift declare its correct value. I have known some who declare it as a "sample" with its correct value.

Over the past 15 or so years I have visited the USA on numerous occassions.

On each occassion I have visited many of the Bass Pro, Gander Mountain stores and brought back a whole host of goods for myself and other friends.

In the way of scopes I have now brought back about 5 in total including the Leupold VXL, I have also brought back range finders, bullet heads and knives.

All of the scopes I brought back I put in my hand luggage. Only once was I asked by the security whilst in transit in America why I had a scope in my hand luggage and also why do I like Leupold :D no problem

I have also had 3 rifles brought into the UK as well by clients from the States, but I admit that was a few years back. The amount of tax I paid was minimal, and due to the cock up by customs on one rifle I ended up not paying any duty at all.

I have never had a problem, just put the scopes in your hand luggage, and any other stuff in your main luggage, with the price tags removed.

ATB

Sikamalc

I believe that items from individuals are expempt from the DSP 83 declaration.
Business's have to have a DSP 83 (end user) declaration which invovles an export license from the state dept.
Such are the restrictions with these licenses, that a lot of companies find it is not worth their while.
Some will send, some will not,the consequences of getting caught exporting a restricted item could be severe indeed.
The company we use in the US for all our exports has comfirmed that their export license costs have risen from $15,000 to $57,000, they informed us that they will no longer be exporting to the UK.

http://www.bis.doc.gov/news/archive2000/trijiconpays64k.htm

Scopes are on the restricted list ask Trijicon!

regards
griff

DO NOT on any account listen to Malc and put any firearm related stuff including scopes in your carry on luggage unless of course you enjoy visiting a small room to be 'Inspected' followed by a holiday in an orange boilersuit. :lol:

Standbuck,

I do not ask people to listen to me, and having visited the states on numerous occassions I have never had a problem, thats my experience, whats yours? All the scopes I bought were brand new in the makers boxes. I admit taking ammo or a rifle bolt in hand luggage would be madness, but up to now I have had no issue with a scope in a sealed makers box.

The only issue I have had was on the last occassion I visited San Francisco I did not have an address for where I was staying with a friend as he had just moved. Both my wife and I were questioned as to why and where we were staying, but after a while as we did not appear to be terrorists we boarded the plane. Coming back I had a number of items I had brought and had no problems.

Carted a brand new empty gun case around once from Atlanta to San Francisco and back to Boston and then home. Never had a probelm although they asked everytime why I wanted an empty gun case. Answer much much cheaper to purchase in the states than in good old blighty!!

Have also bought in personally a few years back a brand new 303, 25.06 and a 30.06 from the states

Guess I do not look guilty :D

Sikamalc

Standbuck

My experience would echo Sikamalc's. At one time I was travelling to and from the States 6 or 8 times a year - and this post 9/11. There were some things I couldn't get in hand luggage (the high seat, the shooting bench, the turret press and the deer tripod would have been a bit of a squeeze) but I've brought plenty back before.

In the past I've taken optics in my hand luggage on the basis that (a) they are delicate items, and (b) I can then declare them in the UK. The Leupold scopes typically worked out less than the personal duty free allowance. These days I would tend to put them in checked in baggage if I had any, which isn't very often. I would always check in any knives, riflestocks, reloading kit, etc.

I have always found that if you treat the security people curteously then they are pleasant and friendly....and often just interested in hunting outside the US. I've swapped a few good stories with them and had reccomendations of hunting camps and fishing holes!

willie_gunn

enfieldspares

That is illegal as it is a deliberate attempt to EVADE UK Customs Duty. If you did have a problem it could result in a conviction for an offence of "dishonesty" that may have consequences regarding your FAC.

Quite right too. Well done

Don't carry it in your carry on luggage! Disregard all the discussions about what kind of reticule or if it's mildot or whatever (most customs or even firearms police would not know the difference anyway). In the UK the airlines regard the 'scope as part of the firearm and check in clerks wet their knickers if it's in the carry on luggage. The new xray machines have become more and more sensitive - I've stood behind the guys doing the scanning when carrying firearms and they can even read the bloody printing on containers inside suitcase as well as actually looking through all the steel in the magazine / receiver / barrel and see if a rifle is loaded or not. A hard bodied suitcase which is locked helps (not a fabric or soft bodied one which can be cut open with a sharp knife).
A lot depends on which airline you use flying out of the states - try one of the forums where there are lots of folk flying out from the states to ask from anyone who has actually used the same airline as you propose using (accuratereloading forum worth trying)

Back