nice couple of hours after a muntjac thanks to munty hunter

got a invite off munty hunter to see if i would like to try for a muntjac buck over at his place. so after agreeing to meet him there at 6.45pm i set off from Worcester to the Worcestershire and herefordshire borders.

plan of attack was to sit up in a tower he had built some years back on the farm he lives on. so after seeing his new addition trigger the patterdale terrier we set off up to the tower. well all i can say i was very impressed with his build. four telegraph poles dug into the ground and concreted in. climb up the one pole by proper footplates up into a trap door. then up there he has a good space with a tin roof for shelter.

cammo net all around for cover. what more could you ask for hey ! shooting in comfort :lol::cool: after 20 to 25 mins a munty doe come through a ride and was mooching about for food. she soon went off into the undergrowth out of harms way, then some game birds and tree rats paid a visit to the area out in the open patch of wood. tim said stay sharpe a buck should be around somewhere. and after 30 more mins had past looking out into the silent wood with the light setting it was lovely and peaceful a nice evening after the rain of earlier.

all of a sudden i see a nice buck come under the tower we where sat in. Tim said he is following the scent of the doe that had been there. and to get ready as he wont hang about. i lined him up with the 243 howa which was loaded with 87 grain bullets and no mod :D

i had earring protection on as i don't fancy going deaf. but he wouldnt stop. he moved a little and tim let out a little noise to try stop him which it did for that split second. and then the boom rang out. the munty was hit hard and went down. with a little bit of movement on the floor before giving in after a couple of seconds.

we waited 5 mins then went down and took him back to the farm. where he was hung and prepped for the chiller. was interesting to see it done and to learn some more about that side of deer control. after all its easy to shoot one. but when it comes to prepping we all want to do it right so was good to pick up some tips.

after that i thanked tim for taking the time out to take me shooting. i was very grateful for it and got my 1st munty buck which i was chuffed about.

tim don't make a bad cup of tea also :D thanks again

atb jay

​ps... this one had jontys name on it sorry mate:p

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Well done mate he is a lovely buck
they all seem to have my name on them but every time I go out its the host that does the shooting,
​(please take note Tim and Wayne)

Glad you enjoyed it Jamie, I still can't get over the amount of chatter that Buck was making. I should start sharpening that knife ready to try and get the skin off his neck :evil:.

Glad you enjoyed it Jamie, I still can't get over the amount of chatter that Buck was making. I should start sharpening that knife ready to try and get the skin off his neck :evil:.

cheers tim. by the way all you need is a bar up in that tower:lol: it has everything else:cool:

​i didn't hear the chatter mate with those ear defenders on. those 87 grain pills really do the job well.

Last edited:
got a old work top and some old hereford cider you can have to kick things off. i will bring those bullets over tomorrow dinner time.

The principal of strong Herefordshire cider being served on a platform 40ft up in the air and mixed with fullbore rifles :-|
Anyone who survived the cider and guns up there would no doubt kill themselves trying to get down :D

The principal of strong Herefordshire cider being served on a platform 40ft up in the air and mixed with fullbore rifles :-|
Anyone who survived the cider and guns up there would no doubt kill themselves trying to get down :D

i think mr howard is off to powys tomorrow for buck. go over and pop the 6 pointer off for him :stir:

be afraid Tim, be very afraid
Jamie is trying to get you drunk whilst you are locked in a double high seat 40' up in the air with him far away from help,
​reminds me of "wrong turn"

be afraid Tim, be very afraid
Jamie is trying to get you drunk whilst you are locked in a double high seat 40' up in the air with him far away from help,
​reminds me of "wrong turn"

your out the film deliverance mr h

got a old work top and some old hereford cider you can have to kick things off. i will bring those bullets over tomorrow dinner time.
Have you got time to go out again tomorrow ?
you have all that washing, ironing, polishing and hoovering to do

Back