Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dismantling ammo

Dismantling ammo

Got some loads to break up that I made up for the .243. made 3 different powder weights, started on the lowest, and got heavy bolt lift on the middle ones. Decided not to bother with the heaviest!

question is how to dismantle them and keep the bits for reuse? Heard bad press about kinetic hammers so has anybody got a better method?

Kinetic hammers are ok, not sure what negatives you have heard

The only other good option is the Hornady Cam Lock bullet puller die system

Kinetic hammer works for me

Heard a couple of people had the hammers break too easily, will have a look at the hornady kit, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Kinetic hammer works for me
    + 1 been using one for years

Some people can break any thing it seems. The even though it's down to them and their mis-use blame the tool.

I have pulled many rounds over the decades with my RCBS one that I bought used all those years ago. I was given at that time several hundred 270 Winchester cartridges of unknown loads and pulled every single one using it.

It be not magic!

Place a small peice of foam in the bottom of the k hammer's collection channel for damage-free bullet tips.

What sayest thou?

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    It be not magic!Place a small peice of foam in the bottom of the k hammer's collection channel for damage-free bullet tips.What sayest thou?K
    The cheap earplugs from garden machinery shops, one of them make a good 'tip protection pad' when put inside the hammer and doesn't clog up with powder so easily as some other bits of sponge/rubber do.

+1 for a ear plug in the kinetic hammer, easy to fish out when you empty the hammer as well
    I used one to pull most of 100 .308 loads that wernt chambering well (shoulder needed bumped a little more) easy peasy.

popping out live primers is a bit more nervewracking but did 200 of those recently with no bangers (safety glasses just in case )

I now use an RCBS collet puller, kinetic hammer was ok I suppose but a pain if doing more than 2 or 3, and living in a flat too noisy.
    With the collet job I could pull hundreds and re-use all the components every time.

Neil.