Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tidying up a walnut stock...

Tidying up a walnut stock...

Ok, so i have just bought a Tikka M65 in 6.5x55 and it has a lacquered walnut stock, looking to remove the lacquer and have it as a nice oiled bit of wood. Never done it before so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

i have done a couple of stocks now, i strip off with nitromorse . sometimes it needs a light scratch in the varnish to help it on its way . dont leave it on too long wash off dry and re apply if needed . I use a small brass type brush to help in the chequering and again wash off with water and dry I then sand to whats needed or iron dings out and stain to required colour seal with a grain sealer and then apply walnut oil and keep applying over a few weeks/months ,hope this is of some help others will have their methods but mine works for me, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Nice job that Wayne looks a good hard wearing matt / satin finish , I don't like stocks to highly polished I looked a a few recently and inmho they were too glossy and showed quite a few imperfections to be honest the guy was passionate about them and been mixing his own brew but to me they just looked like they had been liberally coated with tru oil
    I used to know a good stocker/finisher in Birmingham long dead now he gave me his secret oil mix I have been using that for a full oil job on English guns for years and there is another bloke local to me who brews his own that does a really nice finish but I just use that for end of season topping up.
    He also does a stock wax with added red root oil and blended with all sorts which is really good too. DF

If using Nitromors, you may wish to consider using the Craftsman version and washing down afterwards with white spirit rather than water, which can raise the grain in certain circumstances. This is normally a minor irritation but if chequering is affected, it can be more of a problem.

Knots

Tidying up a walnut stock...

Hi

You might find this thread interesting, especially the contributions from olaf and simjim33. I'm currently trying olaf's method, and the results so far are very encouraging.

Andrew

Thanks DF i am happy with my results , knots can i ask will white spirit neutralise the nitromorse i have always been told that water was needed to stop the effects of it ,happy to be told otherwise as its only what i was shown years ago and if that is a better method i will use that in future. doing my stocks has been a joy and i am learning as i go my stain has been my own mix and i do also use alcanet and root oil as well. the stains i like come from my picture framing and found that the chestnut brand spirit stains mix well and give a nice colour deep in the wood, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    knots can i ask will white spirit neutralise the nitromorse i have always been told that water was needed to stop the effects of it ,
    Yes, white spirit will neutralise Nitromors Craftsman (yellow can) perfectly but not 'ordinary' Nitromors (green can).

Regards
    Knots

apparently the yellow stuff is not made any more, does that mean the green stuff has been modified and will now be neutrealised by white spirit do you think...

I have used white spirit on green can Nitromors without a problem, much prefer it to water.

Neil.

Christian,

if you need help, let me know, I finish/re-finish rifle stocks for £115.

here is a couple of examples, first is a Tikka stock re-finished and a long ebony front end added
    Attachment 27232Attachment 27233

Here is a Mauser stock in english walnut

Attachment 27234

a lot can be done with factory wood, if you know how, take the time, and don't rush it.

good luck with a very fulfilling project
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset