Help identify these newborns

Hedders

Hi All,

While picking up the remains of a bale of straw in the garden, near the bottom was a small mass of soft grey/brown fur. Inside this nest were four newborn babies which I want to identify. The tails are not visible in the photos, but were only about 1 cm long.

Your help much appreciated!

Hedders

Attachments

• Newborn1.jpg
    Newborn1.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 243
  • Newborn2.jpg
    Newborn2.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
For Christ sake I can't take this anymore. Hares are born looking like small round hares. Eyes open, hair on and able to run in less than 24 hours! If you check the fur in the nest you will see that it is rabbit fur. It's not a question or up for debate, they are rabbit kits!
The OP wasn't after a vote on it, he wanted to know what they were! If you don't know the answer then why post a reply? The same goes for all the posts on this site!

Last edited:
For Christ sake I can't take this anymore. Hares are born looking like small round hares. Eyes open, hair on and able to run in less than 24 hours! If you check the fur in the nest you will see that it is rabbit fur. It's not a question or up for debate, they are rabbit kits!
The OP wasn't after a vote on it, he wanted to know what they were! If you don't know the answer then why post a reply? The same goes for all the posts on this site!

Dalmation?

As baguio says leverets are born pretty well ready to go. it's not unusual for rabbits to be born above ground, I have found them in big bale stacks and more than once under sheds in a scooped out hollow lined with the does fur.
I once saw a doe come out of a bury, give birth, pick up the newborn and carry it below, she repeated this three times, why I haven't a clue!

I had someone ring me in a panic that their cat had brought a puppy home. Told them to bring it down. Was also a bunny.

Nearly as funny as a colleague who saw a staffie puppy for first vaccination and had to break it to the owners they had brought an adult guinea pig. :D

All wrong miniture wild boar:D and I'm always right just ask the mrs.

I was at Colchester zoo last week and that looks identical to the newborn pygmy Hippo I saw there! That had a straw nest too.
You should look after them as they are quite an endangered species! Well done for finding them.
MS

That's what i like a man that can bust a 3000 watt fuse !!!!!!!!! :rofl: but agree they are Rabbit Kits ;)

Jimbo

Back