BASC Head Measuring?

flytie

Please can anyone tell me why the BASC have gone off on their own tangent with their head measuring service?

They have started issuing PLATINUM medals insted of the old gold standard, going away from the internationally recognised CIC system which is recognised all over the world. Do they expect the rest of the world, or even just europe, to follow suit?

Do those lucky, or skilled, enough to shoot medal heads send them to both organisations?

Yours confusedly, Simon

The Basc service is surely not recognised by the CIC so why can't Basc make their own? Things evolve and change as time goes by as you will soon see when CIC change their formula for scoring roe heeds to accommodate age related scoring and to raise the bar for Munties,or so I hear. Change isn't a bad thing and instead of bickering all factions should just get on with their own thing and the world would be a better place. Amen.
All mine go to the CIC to get measured because it is THE recognised organisation and I'm pretty happy with them but it doesn't mean Basc are any worse at judging the merits of a heed.

Last edited:
By this then I presume medal class heads will probably fetch more of a premium in revenue etc... Where will it end...

The BASC scheme is ok for English people to have heads measured but in my experience dealing mainly with continental clients these all want CIC as BASC is just not recognised abroad
Regards Andy

Please can anyone tell me why the BASC have gone off on their own tangent with their head measuring service?

They have started issuing PLATINUM medals insted of the old gold standard, going away from the internationally recognised CIC system which is recognised all over the world. Do they expect the rest of the world, or even just europe, to follow suit?

Do those lucky, or skilled, enough to shoot medal heads send them to both organisations?

Yours confusedly, Simon

The platinum award is for high scoring heads its an extra award not instead of gold , under the BASC scheme you have bronze, silver, gold and platinum.

Scoring seems to be much the same between BASC and CIC. no more than about 3 points of difference between the two systems which is about the same as you could expect from different measurer's using the CIC system apart from the platinum award and I can't remember of the top of my head how many points you need for it.

Was there a need for a British measuring system BASC seem to think so though I can't really see the point of it myself.

Oh the other thing they are doing away with the 90 day drying out period.

I am sure the CIC suggested that some heads be recognised for being special eg 200 points etc. But not sure if they ever did anything about it.
Anyway for me the CIC system is good and is not to expensive. I don't like the you need to be a BASC member crap that always comes out to get something done or get a special price.

Money. No other good reason for doing it. Same as setting up a deer section, setting up DMQ, trying to expand their training course options........ it all brings in income for the business.

Rgds,

Ian

Money. No other good reason for doing it. Same as setting up a deer section, setting up DMQ, trying to expand their training course options........ it all brings in income for the business.

Rgds,

Ian

Totally agree, there will be somebody at BASC dreaming up ideas to screw money out of members right now,It`s just jobs for the boys, why they feel they have to be different beats me

Bob

I beleave the man who started the BASC measuring sevice used to by a cic judge but fell out with them and went to BASC and offerd his services as he is well known in the stalking world, there measuring service would have probably have not got off the ground without him at the helm

I beleave the man who started the BASC measuring sevice used to by a cic judge but fell out with them and went to BASC and offerd his services as he is well known in the stalking world, there measuring service would have probably have not got off the ground without him at the helm

+1
:thumb:

Interesting comments

Given that BASC give a free measure to each member…I wonder how that can be ‘screwing money out of members’?

Of the 30 plus heads we measured this weekend, over 90% were FREE

People can of course choose to pay (or not) whoever they like, and I am sure if there were no demand for the BASC measuring services , our head measurers at the Gamekeepers Fair this weekend would have been sitting there twiddling their thumbs – but far from it!

So apart from the opportunity for the ‘lets have a pop at BASC’ theme, is there any harm at all BASC offering this service?

David

David there is not harm at all and i think it is good that BASC do this for there members. Maybe other organisation can do it for there members then we will have four or five measuring heads and all out side an official standard.(Is this a good thing)?? This is not a pop at BASC David but at an award that has no meaning .

There is no harm in it but it seems a bit pointless as it not recognised, I measure the heads for my clients which is at best a provisional measurement and of course not recognised.

However I may set up a head measuring service , I will get a few certificates printed up in fact should still have some that I had done it won't be official of course but neither is BASC's.

Seriously though if people are happy with measurement such BASCs thats fair enough , I have spoken about this with some of my European clients and they are not at all interested as they say it would mean nothing , they would much rather wait and get an official CIC measurement , even though some can only get them measured at a certain time of the year.

Of course, what other organisations do is up to them, I am sure they will keep developing services and benefits for their members just as BASC does.

If the BASC service is of no value to our members, why do so many bring along heads for measuring at shows and events?

Evidently you and a few others do not agree with it, but in what way does it harm you, or anyone else as I say? What does it matter?

Those that do not want to use the BASC can use CiC - so whats all the fuss? Your (or your clients) money, your (or your clients) choice

David

Of course, what other organisations do is up to them, I am sure they will keep developing services and benefits for their members just as BASC does. If the BASC service is of no value to our members, why do so many bring along heads for measuring at shows and events? Evidently you and a few others do not agree with it, but in what way does it harm you, or anyone else as I say? What does it matter? Those that do not want to use the BASC can use CiC - so whats all the fuss? Your (or your clients) money, your (or your clients) choice David
Ironically David@BASC one of the main detractors on this thread applied to become a BASC measurer, bet you can't guess who?

I am aware that one of the 'regulars' has done exactly that, but would not dare to mention his name, although their post did make me chuckle, oh the irony of it all!:lol:

And finally, I hope those who were so quick to jump on the ‘lets knock BASC’ bandwagon by accusing us of just doing this to ‘screw money’ from members now see how very wrong they are, and will perhaps think twice before jumping on said bandwagon in the future:oops:

Best to all and happy stalking!

David

I am aware that one of the 'regulars' has done exactly that, but would not dare to mention his name, although their post did make me chuckle, oh the irony of it all!:lol:

And finally, I hope those who were so quick to jump on the ‘lets knock BASC’ bandwagon by accusing us of just doing this to ‘screw money’ from members now see how very wrong they are, and will perhaps think twice before jumping on said bandwagon in the future:oops:

Best to all and happy stalking!

David

I will in a minute go back and read Dom's kind link to a previous thread that I have missed but I would like to take this opportunity of saying that David from BASC has not answered my question, just got very defensive at what some of the posters have written. And of course it is BASC's perfect right to make business decisions of their own.

Please can you tell me why you have taken head measuring away from an internationally agreed standard and made up your own system?

Is it just because you saw a gap in the market and it is a purely a money making scheme for BASC? Or is the CIC system flawed in some way that necessatated the implementation of a new system? I honestly would like to know the answer! Or are these not the questions?

From the position of being a regular recreational stalker who will never be able to afford a medal head deer, I am unlikely to ever use either system.

​Simon

Back