Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age of powder

Age of powder

Just a quick one for you long time reloaders as I have just got into it, I have been offered some N160 and on looking at the container it is 13 Years old ??
    will this affect its performance or should I leave well alone.
    Thanks Brian

If stored correctly it will be fine ,top secured tightly ,stored at room temp or lower ,I am using powder I bought 30 years ago it's fine. Lots of surplus ammo is old ,if it's been stored in good conditions it works well ,I am currently shooting .303 South African ammo date 1952 ! It's very accurate.

Cumbrian

I just had a delivery of new powder this week and the date of manufacture on 1 of the tubs was 2007.

Bob

Should be fine as long as the tub is sealed. Viht's pretty good but if you buy some new (newer) stuff check it out by working up new loads with it.
    The stuff I use (N135) has definitely changed (chronographed) over the last couple of batches (2006 - 2008 - 2009) I've used. Same velocities / pressures but the newer stuff requires 0.4 - 1.0 grains less. Next pot is 2011...
    Like fine wines this game...

Quote Originally Posted by cumbrian View Post
    Just a quick one for you long time reloaders as I have just got into it, I have been offered some N160 and on looking at the container it is 13 Years old ??
    will this affect its performance or should I leave well alone.
    Thanks Brian
    Hi Brian.
    I have just opened an eight year old tub of viht and it is perfect. So long as it has been stored cool and dry with no big temp fluctuations it will be fine. You will know when it is 'off' by the acrid vinegar smell.
    Iain

Blog Entries
    My mate knocked me up some .357 out of a tub made in the 80's!

I have recently done a batch of .25-06 from a tub of RL 19 that's been open 10 years.

Kept well it lasts fine. I can't vouch for any going off.

I shot some 7.62 recently made in 1937.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthDorset View Post
    I shot some 7.62 recently made in 1937.
    7.62x54R?

I have some 4350 from the late 50's early 60's. Stored well and still good last time I looked. I also found some IMR 4064 in a large square tin from the 70's. Still fine.~Muir

I still havequite a lot of red dot I used to use in .45 acp,about 75% of a 6lb tin .I use it for fireforming brass -- still goes bang no problem.