Howa triggers?

A question for the Howa shooters please, If you bought a new Howa would be inclined to automatically drop in a timmney trigger, or are the more recent howa triggers good/better then they used to be?

I know it maybe personally preference, but wondered what the general opinion on here was

​Thanks

Some say a tuned Howa trigger ist almost better than a Timney.
Get someone who knows what he is doing tune the Trigger. I had one tuned by Roedale years ago
and it is a gem. Set at about 700 grams.
edi

A question for the Howa shooters please, If you bought a new Howa would be inclined to automatically drop in a timmney trigger, or are the more recent howa triggers good/better then they used to be?

I know it maybe personally preference, but wondered what the general opinion on here was

​Thanks

I have had Howa's with both triggers and a fair bit of experience over a decade with Howa rifles. The triggers can be somewhat variable; some are as good as a Timney out of the box, others require a bit of work. I would adjust the trigger to suit you, it is easy and you can drop them down to 1.5lbs without problems. If you are still unhappy buy a timney.

ATB

Tahr

Excellent, thanks everyone!

Another question actually please, I saw a howa for the first time today, and I was surprised by its apparent weight, as apposed to the .308 xbolt I was looking at as well. How much difference does a fluted barrell make? Is it certainly noticeable?

​Sorry for the basic questions!!

Hi Micheal,
I did alot of playing with the trigger on my howa .243 and couldnt get it right! (after a friend fired it missed somer foxes and blamed the poor trigger it cast doubt in my mind!) i then ordered a rifle basix trigger expecting it to arrive the next day (saturday) so i could stalk on the weekend, needless to say it didnt! i decided to have a tinker and then proceeded to strip it, i found that the sear was not cut square and smooth from the factory!!
I then proceeded to square it up using my 2000 grit knife sharpening stone then polished with a buffer! Its now absoultly spot on although sat redundant in my cabinet as i fitted the rifle basix which is very good but has no 2 stage safety!
Please heed my advice if you do tinker, always check the saftey works and does not slam fire or fire when you ban gun stock on floor obvioulsly unloaded!

Hi Micheal,
I did alot of playing with the trigger on my howa .243 and couldnt get it right! (after a friend fired it missed somer foxes and blamed the poor trigger it cast doubt in my mind!) i then ordered a rifle basix trigger expecting it to arrive the next day (saturday) so i could stalk on the weekend, needless to say it didnt! i decided to have a tinker and then proceeded to strip it, i found that the sear was not cut square and smooth from the factory!!
I then proceeded to square it up using my 2000 grit knife sharpening stone then polished with a buffer! Its now absoultly spot on although sat redundant in my cabinet as i fitted the rifle basix which is very good but has no 2 stage safety!
Please heed my advice if you do tinker, always check the saftey works and does not slam fire or fire when you ban gun stock on floor obvioulsly unloaded!

Motox- dont worry any tinkering will be done by my favourite gunsmith!! :) Hurry up FAC PLLEASE!

Took a bit of tuning but got my 204 to a nice crisp pull eventually. If its going to a gun smith you will be fine because they are tricky to get right.

Michael,

Don't waste money on aftermarket triggers. The factory trigger is more than good enough once tuned.

The same goes for spending extra for the fluted version of the rifle. Although it might be lighter on paper it won't make any noticeable difference in the field.

Kind regards,

Tim

I have to agree with Tim, once tuned my howa trigger was spot on, it was a really crisp break with a 2lb pull absoulty worth getting the howa trigger done! rifle basix triggers cannot be tweaked!
Michael,

Don't waste money on aftermarket triggers. The factory trigger is more than good enough once tuned.

The same goes for spending extra for the fluted version of the rifle. Although it might be lighter on paper it won't make any noticeable difference in the field.

Kind regards,

Tim

Back