Bit of drama last night!

Chris Rob

Bit of drama at the end of our dog walk last night.

Got back up near our village & the GSP was off up ahead as usual & as she rounded a bend in the path there was an almighty commotion with a lot of screaming which could have only been a deer, I hurried forward & found her with a very young Muntjac doe pinned down.

Got her off & the Muntjac got up tottered a few steps & collapsed, her back end was completely gone. Looks like she’d been hit by a vehicle & had managed to come down the path leading from the B road that runs past our village until she collapsed, one hip was smashed & a leg was broken.

Didn’t have a knife with me & needed to dispatch her quickly so tried to break her neck but for some reason & not sure why I couldn’t manage it so only thing I could think of doing was to put the heel of my boot on her windpipe & she went quietly in well under a minute.

Then I had the problem of disposing of the carcass, couldn’t really walk up through the village with her draped over my shoulders so took her down to the scrub by the river & hid her in a shallow overgrown ditch.

Went by this morning on the same walk & she was gone, lots of pins in evidence so Fox or Badgers had found her overnight probably.

Chris

Can't do more than that chap good job it was you and not Jo blogs dare it would be in some sanctuary by now being nursed till it croaked .
cheers
​norma

I always have smallish folding knife on me when out walking the dog. You never know what you will find. Last time it was to free my old wire hared lurcher from thick brambles thathe had completely ensnared him.

I think you did the best you could and hat off to you for that.
On a different issue that has been mentioned in this thread, what is the legality of carrying a small folding knife while out with the dog?

Size type and reason. Different if it was a saturday night out in Wantage town centre!

I usually carry a multitool on my belt and that has a knife on it. Think the limit is about 3.5 inches?
I am usually driving throught Wantage in the early hours on my way back. Didn't realise they had a night club there. Ohhh it makes me feel so old.

On a different issue that has been mentioned in this thread, what is the legality of carrying a small folding knife while out with the dog?

The knife needs to be smaller than 3 inches and be a non locking folder (think Swiss army). Unless you have good reason for that gert big knife you have on your belt.

Personally wouldn't be anywhere without my knife - a buck 110 lock knife. Always on my belt, and has been for more than 20 years. Goes everywhere with me - weddings, funerals, dinner parties, doctor, hospital, shopping, pub, school functions etc etc. Never made any attempt to hide it any way. Only time it comes off is when I go sailing or fishing, whem I replace it with a knife on a lanyard.

Risky policy that VSS.

As someone said above, unless you can prove "good reason" for having a knife on you, anything with a blade longer than three inches, or with a locking function, is illegal to carry in a public place.

Personally wouldn't be anywhere without my knife - a buck 110 lock knife. Always on my belt, and has been for more than 20 years. Goes everywhere with me - weddings, funerals, dinner parties, doctor, hospital, shopping, pub, school functions etc etc. Never made any attempt to hide it any way. Only time it comes off is when I go sailing or fishing, whem I replace it with a knife on a lanyard.

Risky policy that VSS.

As someone said above, unless you can prove "good reason" for having a knife on you, anything with a blade longer than three inches, or with a locking function, is illegal to carry in a public place.

Well it's never given me any problem, so I'll stick with it, regardless of the rules!
It's also illegal to drive at more than 70 miles per hour on a motorway, but funny thing is if I travel at 70 in the middle lane there's always people passing me! That's what I call risky.

Usally carry an Opinel everywhere I go but on this occasion I had changed out of my usual moleskins into some waterproofs as it was peeing down when I walked the dogs hence not having a knife with me.

Re the legality issue, my defence has always been I'm a part time gamekeeper so have just cause to carry but certainly not on a Saturday night in Wantage!! :eek:

Cheers

Chris

Come off it you lot.
I was brought up in Wantage, a quieter town you will not find anywhere (except perhaps in the sixties). Saturday nights outside the VC after (or during) a dance, could be a bit exciting, if a load from Didcot or Faringdon were visiting.
I tend to go along with VSS on this one, as I am either on my way shooting, fishing or to or from the small holding most of the time.
However, (thanks to Willie Gunn) that Boker Plus XS looks to be the way to go.

Back