Optics dilemma

hcm1

Having been using a Duralyt for the past 6 months i am now finding that i am struggling a bit with the mag for very long range crows, it is lovely for lamping but just could do with a bit more for longer shots.

I am in the luck position of being able to indulge in a nice scope and im trying to decide between the Nightforce ATACR and the vortex range from riflecraft.

I'm guessing there will be limited if any real world experience of the ATACR at ths point but wondered if anyone had any feedback on the vortex scope?

Thanks for any input!

Why not a schmidt?? Better glass than the NF

if you eBay schmidt bender there is a 4-16 PMII that ends in a few hours. I have one on my 7mm and it is absolutely fantastic

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys, i will be buying new as the savings for second hand dont justify the risks in my mind when im spending this much.
Apparently the ATACR is meant to have much better glass than the NXS series. Have seriously consiedered the PM2 but having read about some warrenty issues i have been put off a little.

had a pm2 on my 338
never had any probs so never need to send it back have sb 8x56 on stalking toys never had aprob never sent one back .got a Duralyt at Cla last year got to range zero bugger would not hold zero waist of time and ammo :doh: sent that back got new 2.5x10x56 £1400 Happy happy happy:tiphat:
but have had bad reports on NF NXS :cry:

QUOTE=hcm1;565004]Thanks for the replies guys, i will be buying new as the savings for second hand dont justify the risks in my mind when im spending this much.
Apparently the ATACR is meant to have much better glass than the NXS series. Have seriously consiedered the PM2 but having read about some warrenty issues i have been put off a little.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't worry about durabilty issues with a PM2.

I bought a secondhand 4-16x50 +5 years ago and it had a fair amount of use then.

I have used it non stop since and it has been faultless in all sorts of testing conditions.

​Robin

thanks for the replies, all appreciated. will definitely consider PMII again. does anyone here have a vortex? the warrenty looks amazing (too good to be true?) and nice features also.

PM11 are a waste of time! To much money! I've known a few people have them and have problems! NF are very good scopes, but if you don't want to spend NF money but still have a top quality scope then have a look at the weaver superslam euro style!

PMII are great scopes but are too big & heavy for a hunting scope. They are also now a ridiculous price new as well

I personally think you are ignoring one the best long range hunting scopes out there, a Zeiss Victory 6-24X56. Good glass, good turrets and a good choice of reticles. I currently have both a 5-25 PMII and the Zeiss and I much prefer the Zeiss for hunting.

If you didn't want an illuminated reticle then the new Zeiss Conquest range from the US are available as a 5-25, I have just imported one of these for about £800, I haven't used it in anger as yet but so far I am really impressed with it, I think it offers very good value for money.

I love my Schmidt scopes , they're bloody reliable , there's a reason you can't get them at the moment .... They have a us army contract to fill because in tests they were better than the night force scopes !

I managed to get myself a Vortex Viper 2.5-10x44 and I am very pleased with it. I must say compared with my Ziess duralyt 3-12x50 there is little to choose between the two. Having said that I am not particularly experienced but I liked the scope because the build quality is very good, it comes with a lifetime warranty and the company are very good to deal with. I initially tried buying one from Riflecraft and if I had to rely on them then I would still be waiting for the scope.
bryn

Back