Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 ffp

ejg

My son needed a scope for his new 243 that is just being built.
I have had contact to Vortex in the US for some time now and was interested in one of their scopes.
We chose the Viper PST FFP 6-24x50 with milrad as it would use the same adjustments and drop charts as my Kahles 624i.
These scopes are around 1000 usd in the US. http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-ffp-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle
We will test the scope on our 223 T3 lite first. To avoid damaging the scope tube I fitted the mounts by epoxy casting a print of the tube. In the rear mount I put a layer of tape 0.15mm to raise it slightly and get more elevation as some of my rails are 0 MOA.
DSCN7711_zps900965af.jpg

Before trimming epoxy
DSCN7713_zps1c01d7ed.jpg

Turrets are one of the best I have used, can be read very easily without reading glasses...
Only, why would they have a yds Paralax on a cm/100m adjustment scope????
DSCN7722_zpsdf5fc1b3.jpg

I thought the glass is brilliant and much brighter as expected. Only at above 20 mag my Kahles would be clearer.
Illumination works well and can be adjusted very faint for lowest light. Recticle is possibly nicer than the Mil3 of my Kahles 624i as lines seem easier to measure with than dots.

ffpvortex1_zps904427e0.jpg

DSCN7719_zpsf955e831.jpg

edi

That looks like a lovely rifle. Its good to hear some feedback on the glass up againsta more expensive scope.
They are available in the UK for £719.00 inc the VAT from Riflecraft direct or your local dealer.

I have a viper pst 6-24x50 sfp ebr moa1 on my Tikka T3 Lite in 223 cal and must say its great,very clear glass and very good at night when used for lamping.

After taking the pictures and zeroing the weather turned bad and we have gales blowing since....no chance to get a few shots in.

I heard that Riflecraft are doing Vortex in the meantime, not sure who is dealer in Ireland though. £719 sounds ok.

Gunner, I first wanted a sfp but reconcidered as my son could possibly learn more with ffp. We are both getting new
rifles built and will do a bit of long range testing.
edi

I'd be very interested in your evaluation of the scope when you get some shooting done :)

I have one short listed for my sons 308 on our next trip over the the US, I have a Sightron SIII 8-32x56 on mine but he doesn't like the slightly large mil dots on it. Price wise it's about $100 less than the Sightron at $750 most places so even with the current poor exchange rate it's a £200+ saving on the UK price.

I was having a close look at the lines in reticle at fences and a horse across the river at about 650 -700 m. The recticle is very clear and very precise
to use. I was a bit worried because it looks a bit busy on the photo in the website. I had looked through the Sightrons and think the Vortex reticle is nicer at least for
measuring.
edi

i have one of these scopes and must say i am very happy with it have it about a year now

Glogin,
I'll put them next to each other one eve. Weather has been bad recently.
Might be a good idea to also compare with a 6.5-20 Conquest which is in
a similar price bracket. I know the Conquest works well in low light as I've been
stalking and foxing with that for a few years now.
edi

Glogin,
I'll put them next to each other one eve. Weather has been bad recently.
Might be a good idea to also compare with a 6.5-20 Conquest which is in
a similar price bracket. I know the Conquest works well in low light as I've been
stalking and foxing with that for a few years now.
edi

Thanks for reply edi. I was wondering that myself and really value Zeiss Conquest, but I use 4.5-14x50. I was thinking about getting 6.5-20x50 just for that bit more mag. Vortex looks promising, but if it is worse than Zeiss in low light I will stick with Conquest.
​Greg

Back