Any more intel...?

What are you looking to do with it?

Stalking only?
Lowland?
Lowland + hill?

Stalking plus Target?
100-600yds
100-1200yds

What did you have before? Why are you changing?
Preference for German, Japanese, American manufacturers?
Preference for new or secondhand?
What's important to you? Brand, reticule, illuminated, low light, distance - the list goes on!

Have a thunk

Cheers
i.

some s&b's and swos on for sale here , you can get some nice new glass for £800
but we can't help you out without any info on your needs :tiphat:

I have a Simmons 3.8-12 x 44 diamond at the moment. I will using the rifle for stalking roe in the south west and a bit on the range nothing long range. Some one told me it was crap and need to spend some of my hard earned money on a new scope. I inherited the Sako M591 which was my fathers with the scope on it.

I'd ask them to justify why it's crap!!! If you can hit a 4" target at 200yds 9.9/10, then tell them to p*ss off and spend their own money, not yours!

However... It might be crap, in which case £800 will get you a bl**dy good secondhand 4-12x50 scope from anywhere in the world and will do everything that you need it to. ie Zeiss, Bushnell, Leupold that I found with this search on eBay

What binos do you use? Worth matching up the same manufacturer so you're seeing the same image and the same time of day. You could look in the classifieds and see if there is a brand that stands out, and try to get scope and binos that "match" ie Nikon, Minox,

Personally, I'd spend money on binos first, then scope, then rifle as you're using them in that order in the field

STOP :doh: IF IT WORKS WHY CHANGE IT!! IF THE CHAP WHO TOLD YOU IT WAS CRAP ? WHY DID HE SAY IT IE : CAN YOU SEE SAY 200YRD CLEAR I BET YOU CAN ,CAN YOU HIT A TARGET AT THE POINT YOU ARE AIMING ! IF YES AGAIN ! DO YOU NEED TO SPEND THE CASH, IF ANY WERE YES I CAN .ITS UP TO YOU FELLER IF YOU FEEL YOU NEED MORE THEN GO FOR IT BUT I SEEM TO REMEMBER THAT TYPE OF SCOPE BEING OK ,IF ANY WERE NO THEN HE WAS CORRECT , ITS YOUR RIFLE NOT HIS!!

I have a Simmons 3.8-12 x 44 diamond at the moment. I will using the rifle for stalking roe in the south west and a bit on the range nothing long range. Some one told me it was crap and need to spend some of my hard earned money on a new scope. I inherited the Sako M591 which was my fathers with the scope on it.

get out in low light and see how it is you dont even have to shoot anything just check it out if you can see first thing and last light its all you need. If it was your fathers he must have shot deer with it so its worth checking it out before you bin it, atb wayne

get out in low light and see how it is you dont even have to shoot anything just check it out if you can see first thing and last light its all you need.

Finally some intelligent advice. Looking through it in the middle of the day at a range will tell you very little. It's those low light situations - funny that deer have a tendency to like first and last light - that matter most. Ideally, compare it with a top-of-the-line set of binos. That will give you a sense of where the scope begins to let you down (or if indeed it does at all) while others will keep on rocking. Once you know where it sits then you can decide if you want to spend the money to upgrade.

No point not trying it, to answer your question a 3-12x50 would probably fit the bill. If you hang around here long enough one will come along. Also worth having a look at macleods secondhand scope lists. My favourite are schmidt and bender although zeiss, kahles and Swarovski are ok too

Back