Cabelas

timbrayford

Has anyone bought equipment over the internet from Cabelas in the US? I so was it a trouble free transaction and were there any problems with customs & delivery? atb Tim

I have bought a fair few things from them over the past few years and have found them excellent to deal with. Shipping charges usually equate to the price in dollars that you see. Delivery is quick, tracked and as with the last item; duty can be paid straight away instead of when it arrives in the UK.

I have bought a fair few things from them over the past few years and have found them excellent to deal with. Shipping charges usually equate to the price in dollars that you see. Delivery is quick, tracked and as with the last item; duty can be paid straight away instead of when it arrives in the UK.
Agree with the above. I don't often shop there, but was very impressed with paying the Duty up front the last time I shopped there. Have shopped there since '99 with an order every two years or so. No issues so far. Regards JCS

Shipping....awesome, i have ordered from them over the years and it takes 7-10 days, but my last order for a deer cart took 4 days!
You could try and get someone to place the order with you and share the cost of shipping.
Cheers
Richard

lots of times no problems so far
same as bass-pro shops . and if you become a reg buyer thay have some silly deals on stuff
:tiphat:
Has anyone bought equipment over the internet from Cabelas in the US? I so was it a trouble free transaction and were there any problems with customs & delivery? atb Tim

Does paying duty up front save you the outrageous Parcelforce handling charge one used to have to pay on receipt?

"Après à peine 1 an d'existence, et pleins de promesses, le site Cabela's.fr ferme ses portes." After less than a year, and full of promise, Cabela's has closed it's doors, according to google. Zut alors! Sacre Bleu! Bugger!

Does paying duty up front save you the outrageous Parcelforce handling charge one used to have to pay on receipt?

Yeah, i was wondering that and i was also wondering how cabelas go about calculating and charging you import duty, tax and then paying UK customs on your behalf? seems to good to be true to me

Ian.

Yeah, i was wondering that and i was also wondering how cabelas go about calculating and charging you import duty, tax and then paying UK customs on your behalf? seems to good to be true to me Ian.

It worked for me the last time I placed an order. One payment at the point of ordering on Cabelas. No Parcel Force fee or additional charges. Regards JCS

It worked for me the last time I placed an order. One payment at the point of ordering on Cabelas. No Parcel Force fee or additional charges. Regards JCS

I think you were just lucky not to have had your parcel intercepted by UK customs.
I just had a look at cabelas international shipping policy and it clearly states that all duties and taxes are the responsibility of the recipient.

Ian.

I think you were just lucky not to have had your parcel intercepted by UK customs.
I just had a look at cabelas international shipping policy and it clearly states that all duties and taxes are the responsibility of the recipient.

Ian.

Ian.

I don't know how you can say that when you don't have the benefit of reading my e-mail archive. I have reread my order confirmation for the order I placed on Cabelas and I was charged for duty and Vat at point of despatch in the US as per the terms & conditions applied by Cabelas at that time. No doubt new Terms and Conditions will apply to the next order that I place. However, I have been dealing successfully with Cabelas since June 1999 and plan to continue to do so.

Regards JCS

I have bought stuff from them in the past and the service has always been very good, as was the gear. Even with the shipping I was able to get stuff it just wasn't possible to get here in the UK, or I was able to pay a lot less.

I didn't know that they were now doing the "pay duty and point of sale" type thing but that is another great thing. I know there are a few companies offering this service and even some ebay sellers do it now. Many of the big carriers did have the ability to do it but in the past they usually billed you after the goods arrived with you so the idea of paying up front is new and as the rules for calculating duty and tax are all clearly defined it is a simple matter for them to do the sums and pay the tax man on your behalf. The big annoyance with ordering things from the USA used to be watching the tracking and finding it came to the local Post Office distribution centre, about two miles from my house, in 48 hours only to sit there for a further 2 weeks.

I bought a super mag hauler deer cart on sale last year and if i had to pay the customs up front it would have cost a small fortune ,I think if memory serves me correctly $400 + in total shipping and charges so I just shipped it and it arrived 5 days later.It cost 79 euro extra which was about the price of the cart.I was also able to track the order all the way to Ireland Via Germany.The cart never the less was well worth it as I mostly stalk on my own and I christened it with a few fallow soon after.

Ian.

I don't know how you can say that when you don't have the benefit of reading my e-mail archive. I have reread my order confirmation for the order I placed on Cabelas and I was charged for duty and Vat at point of despatch in the US as per the terms & conditions applied by Cabelas at that time. No doubt new Terms and Conditions will apply to the next order that I place. However, I have been dealing successfully with Cabelas since June 1999 and plan to continue to do so.

Regards JCS

Having seen smullerys link, sorry for making such assumptions JCS:doh:

Ian.

I buy most of my clothes from either Cabela's or LL Bean. Paying the duty up-front now stops any problems this end, or it has for me.

​Simon

I bought a high seat from Cabela's last year. I think the item price was $120, and I was under the impression this was under the single item limit. Can't lay hands on the paperwork, but I was seriously p#ssed off when I was charged duty and vat on the gross price which included carriage by compulsory airfreight. UPS basically were paid to deliver by Cabela's, and then got a second slice. I got nowhere trying to find out how much of my money was passed on to customs. The only answer I got was that it was deemed to be a commercial transaction because there was potential for resale!!That said it arrived 4 days after order. I can't get a package from UK in that time scale without paying premium post / courier charges, with the noble exception of Amazon. I did wonder about throwing good money after bad and getting the accountant to stir things a bit. It was good value despite the extras, and I would probably buy again.
Ion

PS. LL Bean ship through Sweden which seems to get round the automatic levying of duty of duty on air mail items. I'm a fan because they , like most US companies , have heard of tall people !!

Ordered clothing many times and never had any problems! Quality of the items is always great, it asks you at the checkout if you would like to pay all taxes up front which saves a Load of myther:D

Back