Thread: New press......import from the USA?

New press......import from the USA?

At the minute I have two Lee classic presses for reloading, any way birthday coming up and the wife says what do you want? Well I pretty much have everything I want and more for stalking, but I think I fancy a new reloading press.

What is the legal situation in importing a press from the USA. Anybody know? I have brought in dies ect many times, but wasn’t sure if the law had changed recently for presses.

I am thinking about a turret press to speed up reloading, anybody else use one? The other thing I liked the look of is the Hornady lock and load system, any info’ gladly received.

Best rgds

Tahr

Hullo Thar,
    I have owned a variety of turet presses over the last 35 years and currently own a Lyman unit I picked up 2nd hand at a gun show. I leave it set up for my son's and my favorite 357 Magnum load. Since it it a load that never changes, it's a good set up. It has six stations so I also have a powder measure in line as well. I think though, if you are wanting "faster" reloading the turrent press won't help you -especially for rifle. Compared to trimming, cleaning and what not, screwing in the dies only uses up a few seconds of time.

You know your reloading regimen though. If you think it will help then you might try MidwayUK. I know that the times I have shipped reloading gear to Scotland the postage was expensive.

As to the Lock and Load; a buddy has one and it is no better than any other. Just a little "gimmicky". ~Muir

Hi mate

I have Dillon RL550b and RCBS Rockchucker presses that cater for all my needs.

The Dillon was used for reloading 1000's of rounds for pistols,,,,when we were allowed.

Now I use it with various toolheads set up for my calibres with the same bolt face ((.473") for 22-250AI, 25-06, 6.5x284, 30-06, 308.

I use the Rockchucker for larger stuff - 7mm WSM and 338 Lap.

The Dillon, although a "progressive" press gets used as a single stage, I prefer to do each stage separately so I have better QC on my rounds.

Neither is better than the other - using neck turned cases, I get runout of .001 to .003" average across the range of cases I load.

Ive looked at various progressive presses over the years including the Hornady.

I prefer the Dillon set up personaly for ease of use, but ive used this press for a looong time...

If it were my choice, by a good single stage and invest in decent dies.

Weight will always be an issue if you purchase and you require shipping...for press's

Kev,
    check if anything interesting is on e-gun in gemany.
    I could help getting it.
    If you have an exact description or order number I could get a quote from
    a german supplier.

regards
    edi

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Tahr

I have an RCBS Turret Press that I brought back from the US, but some years ago now, so I don't know if things have changed recently.

I can't see why it would be a problem bringing one in, but you might have to be careful about excess baggage as the turret press weighed a ton

willie_gunn

Thanks for the advice chaps.

What I am looking to do is to is to have three sets of turrets, one for each of the calibres I reload for. I want to set each set of dies up in a turret, that way when I am reloading all I have to do is put a turret in the press and all the bullet seating depth ect is set. I will still prime with my hand primer and fill powder off the press. So for the most part I will be using it like a single stage press.

Any thoughts?

PS Edi I am in Berlin next week for work, trouble is the baggage limit is only 20kg on the plane ,and I recon’ I will be struggling to keep under that as it is.

All the best

Tahr

Kev

from what youv'e posted the Dillon press may be your best bet (removable toolhead holding all your dies in one calibre set / one toolhead per calibre)

Thats how I use mine.

Not sure if there are any for sale in the UK - The Sportsman Guncentre used to be the importers.

e-bay has a few for sale

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories

The only issue I see is weight for shipping.

If you do decide on one, replacement parts are available direct from Dillon, who offer service kits.

Ive had mine like I posted for over a decade, not needed replacement parts yet.

I think this style of press is better than the turntable turret style as there will always be alot or pressure imparted on the turret head - not sure how good they are for runout?

The Dillon system differs from others in that the shell holder is a circular plate that is held in place by a central spigot with indent ball.

Each shell holder plate has 4 cut outs for shells and you rotate the cases manualy bettween die stages.

The shell holder plates come in a calibre change kit that includes shell holder, three buttons that hold the cases inside the axis of the plate (stope them falling out if you use it as a true progressive) and a charge funnel adaptor that fits inside the powder measure.

If you have one case head size (such as 7mm-08, 308, 22-250 etc) you can get away with one shell holder plate.

Changeover for toolheads takes literally five seconds - remove two pins and slide out one toolhead, slide in the other and replace the retaining pins.

The Dillon is a good system, worth a long look IMHO, if your passing by me, feel free to drop in and take a look at my set up before you buy.

I am back at the week end.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Tahr

You can certainly swap the heads over on the RCBS turret press, not that I've ever had the need to as I only load .308.

See, for example:

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0031380215731a.shtml

willie_gunn

Have you considered smartreloader? They're based in the EU and it's fixed postage no extra duty to worry about...

http://www.smartreloader.com/presses...es-c-9_11.html

They've got a Redding T-7 for E189.99 and postage of E16.99

I bought a Redding Big Boss from them a while back and they threw in a free set of Lee dies (special offer at the time).

Cheers,
    Mat

Quote Originally Posted by Redmist
    Kev

The Dillon is a good system, worth a long look IMHO, if your passing by me, feel free to drop in and take a look at my set up before you buy.

I am back at the week end.
    Hi Andy

I need to drop in at some time to see you about another matter, when I have an idea of when I am passing I will ring you.

Thanks to everybody for the advice.

ATB

Tahr