Thread: 14in .17HMR

14in .17HMR

Evening folks

I am currently thinking about cutting, threading and re-crowning my 17 down to 14 in, I know that they say the powder has burnt of in the first 12in on a rimfire I just wondered if anybody had any history about a 17 of this length.
    ​thanks in advance Tarkan

I have an Anschutz with a 14 in barrel, it is bug hole accurate and great to carry around, i have taken many foxes with this little rifle.

Thank you mate good advice

I also had an Annie 1517 with the 14 inch barrel, worked great.
    Some will tell you the short barrel will cost you in terms of velocity, it may but at sensible HMR ranges it makes no difference in actual use.

Neil.

+1 I also have the 1517 thumbhole 14 inch, Cracking wee rifle. Light as a feather and shoulders beautifully.

I once read in sporting rifle that the 17hmr doesn't burn all of its powder until 20"...

I have a 16" barrel on mine and definitely have found that there is a lot of cr@p in the mod compared to a mates 20" barrel. My mod crud also occaisionally ignites which would suggest unburnt powder.

Having said all this the handling and accuracy is excellent.

If its a cz version ive heard that they are choked, don't know if this it true or not just what I was told however if so an after market chop may not be a particularly good idea for obvious reasons
    Regards
    Jimmy

if a .22lr case worth of powder burns in 14" then a .22 magnum case (WMR/HMR) must require more barrel

wouldn't worry about it so long as it still shoots

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    if a .22lr case worth of powder burns in 14" then a .22 magnum case (WMR/HMR) must require more barrel

wouldn't worry about it so long as it still shoots
    No idea what powder the .22lr uses, but the HMR is apparently Lil'Gun, never had a problem with unburnt powder in mine, but it is horrible messy stuff.
    Just as messy in a .22 hornet with a full 22 inch barrel as well, one reason why I don't use it much, H110 is for me at least far better.

Neil.

Have a look at this there is a bit about barrel length v.s velocity and lots more http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm