Best factory made shooting sticks

AJW

Hi All,

I'm after a set of shooting sticks and have narrowed it down to either the Knobloch, Bogpod or Vanguard bipod models. I appreciate that many use the home made garden cane/ wooden versions but I'd appreciate peoples views on the 3 factory models above.

How do people find the weight, ease of deployment, general feel of the sticks?

Cheers!

i have a set of vanguard scout sticks. i really like them light to carry easy to set up. the top is on a swivel which i really like only issue i have with them is they can be a noisey if you hit somthing by accident other than that great sticks.

Andy7mm

i have no experience with the brands above but i have a pair of stoney point polecat sticks, i have had them for about 12 years and they have took alot of abuse. whatever time they fall apart i will be ordering another pair

I have Knobloch and Vanguard tripods. Knobloch are well made and taller than the Vanguards but the swivel on the Vanguard gives them the edge, pity they are not a little bit taller. No problem if you are not 6feet plus.

Great. One of the guys I know uses Knobloch sticks which he really likes. I like the idea of a swivel head and the height thing should not be a problem. Many thanks chaps.

this feller is selling Knobloch (mmbeatle) SD Member thay are real good .
and i also use £18 home made quad sticks from BQ bean poll sticks
atb
paul

i have no experience with the brands above but i have a pair of stoney point polecat sticks, i have had them for about 12 years and they have took alot of abuse. whatever time they fall apart i will be ordering another pair

Same here, I have used the Stoney Point ones for 10+ years, easily the best on the market. The design of the top is far superior to any of the 'X' type ones simply because they don't have to have a piece of tape added as an afterthought to stop them being pushed open by the weight of the rifle or volume of the fore-end. I have a reserve set in the cupboard in case I ever lose them or run them over.

Before parting with good money for factory sticks I would seriously consider a set of Limulus's hand made ones . .

I use the Stoneypoint Explorer bipod sticks, Actually I use 2 sets.... they are fixed together at the bottom with rubber martingale stops to make quad sticks.

Been usuing these for about 5 years, excellent quality but, not the cheapest.

ATB
Moses

I have some Knobloc's and a set of old bushwear ones. I bought the Knobloc's as the bushwear bottom legs became pitted, my advice is buy Bushwear ones and replace them every 5+ years and you will have 25 years worth of sticks before you are up to the price of Knobloc's.

Not saying the Knoblocs are bad because they are not, But i cant call the bushwear ones either for the price.

How do people find the weight, ease of deployment, general feel of the sticks?

Cheers!

I have the bogpod tripod and find it okay...I have no comparative experience to know whether it is better or worse than any other. I guess there is always going to be a toss up between weight and potential wobble and anything made of tubular metal will clank if knocked together or against a tree.

The swivelling rubber yoke on the top of the Bogpod allows all four makes of my rifles to sit positively. I have the height set pretty well at maximum, I am 6' 1" and I can keep my back straight and comfortable with it. The leg height clamping system is very positive and is by plastic cam locks, the tension of which can be adjusted with an allen key as can the top hinges. I did find the top hinges a bit stiff to start with and for quick single handed set up the top hinges needed to be a bit freer than as purchased.

When I did my DSC1 most of the candidates used my bogpod successfully for their shooting tests, the tripod does not take a lot of getting used to! I have used one successfully while stalking from both standing and sitting positions.
HTH
Alan

Last edited:
Before parting with good money for factory sticks I would seriously consider a set of Limulus's hand made ones . .

+1 just got a set of Limulus's quad sticks at the Deer stalking fair at Kelso and they give a really steady stance.

​Cheers Stewarty69

I have a set of Bogpod tripod sticks and used them for a season. In my experience they are fine if you set up in an ambush position, but are heavy and unwieldy if woodland stalking, and they are noisy, unless you cover them in self amalgamating tape at the joints. I moved onto Knobloch tripod for last season and although they don't have the swivel feature they are very stable, light to carry, and much easier to height adjust if you get a kneeling or sitting shot in a hurry.

Bushwear, .... well I went thru 3 sets before I had one without defects. In fairness there were no quibbles from Bushwear, who replaced the defective sticks immediately, but I believe that the sticks are manufactured outside Europe, and quality control is not all that it might be.

​Just my experience, no axe to grind one way or another.

I made a set using the B & Q garden poles as a quad pod, but i did notice the sticks made by Limulus in the video, not sure how much they are but they looked well made.
Cheers
Richard

I have had a set of the Knobloch bipod sticks for well over 15 years, during which time they have been used, abused, and left behind after a stalk on at least two occasions :oops:

They were expensive (actually they were hideously expensive as they were bought from Jagersport!) but if I now work out the cost in "pence per stalk" it is minimal, and they have assured both me and the clients I've been guiding a steady rest on many occasions.

If they ever need replacing then it will be another set of Knobloch's that take their place.

willie_gunn

I have had a set of the Knobloch bipod sticks for well over 15 years, during which time they have been used, abused, and left behind after a stalk on at least two occasions :oops:

They were expensive (actually they were hideously expensive as they were bought from Jagersport!) but if I now work out the cost in "pence per stalk" it is minimal, and they have assured both me and the clients I've been guiding a steady rest on many occasions.

If they ever need replacing then it will be another set of Knobloch's that take their place.

willie_gunn
I agree with your statement a good friend of mine as had a pair for over 15 years and putting it bluntly the sticks have not been looked after at all, they look battered to hell but they still functioning perfectly and this is what prompted me to get a pair.

It's that age-old statement, you pay for what he get! Allegedly!

I use a Bogpod tripod. I like the fact they go low enough to be used sitting on the ground and have 360 degree pan. Mine get used for everything, rabbit shooting, foxing and stalking. I've used them almost daily now for acouple of years. Good build quality, held together with proper nuts and bolts. The finish comes off the legs after a while and leaves shiney metal. Can't say I find them heavy. If anything a bit more weight wouldn't hurt as the legs are slender and not that rigid - one advantage of hazel sticks is they can take weight and be leant against trees as props or used to bridge fence posts. All tripods are potentially noisy. You have to refine a way of carrying them and be aware of what the legs are doing. I use mine with my .22 with NV and I can approach rabbits to 50 yds, carrying and deploying the sticks in silence. Just a question of practise. Only thing I don't like is the price.

I agree with your statement a good friend of mine as had a pair for over 15 years and putting it bluntly the sticks have not been looked after at all, they look battered to hell but they still functioning perfectly and this is what prompted me to get a pair.

It's that age-old statement, you pay for what he get! Allegedly!
Battered to death eh !!!! Well used on numerous deer in dodgy weather more like-The cheek of the boy,revenge will be mine:D

I bought the Knobloch tripod sticks about 12 years ago, but have to say I made some tripod sticks from the garden canes, and tend to use them when I go stalking. Very rarely do I use the Knobloch now unless when out Foxing on the stubble and can't get a clear shot with the bi-pod.

Back