Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5lb tubs of powder

5lb tubs of powder

hello. does anyone know of any rfd's that stock reloader10x and h4895 in 5lb tubs? can only find the 1lb tubs. no worries if i have to get it sent down down.

thanks
    Tomm

I've never seen a 5 pound tub. I've seen 8 pound tubs. Maybe that's an export-to- UK thing??~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
    hello. does anyone know of any rfd's that stock reloader10x and h4895 in 5lb tubs? can only find the 1lb tubs. no worries if i have to get it sent down down.

thanks
    Tomm
    I should just get what you can mate.
    I was told on saturday if you want primers or powder get it now !
    I had to change primers and powder, so back to working a load up. But at least I have plenty of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm View Post

thanks
    Tomm
    Taken from Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations (MSER) 2005.

a) Storage container size
    The HSE recommends that all shooters powders should only be stored in containers holding less than 550 grams. However for the time being, until stocks are used up and replaced, some powders may only be available in 1kg containers. It is permitted to continue to store powder in these 1kg containers until manufacturers reduce the container size, the conditions in relation to the storage of black powder continue to apply, irrespective of container size i.e. a wooden partitioned box.

I believe that this information may be slightly out of date as I know there was a fairly recent update, but basically it is my understanding that retailers are not permitted to sell reloading powders in the 8Lb tubs that are common in the U.S. I have known of dealers buying powder in bulk and then decanting it into smaller containers for resale but have never seen the large containers for sale in this country.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Strange, I had no problem buying a 3.5Kg container of Viht N140 off HPS a year or so ago.

Just looked and it's still listed on their site at £185.60 for N140/50/60

Naughty, naughty.

3.5kg roughly equates to the 8lb canisters we were talking about.

Have a look at http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/...A578B3B43261E7

Although I can find ammendments with regard to an increase in storage limits for personal use dating back to June of last year I can't find any ammendments that allow an increase in container size.
    Last edited by 8x57; 15-04-2013 at 22:59.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I've never seen a 5 pound tub. I've seen 8 pound tubs. Maybe that's an export-to- UK thing??~Muir
    Nope I've got 5 pounders of RL-7 and RL-22 . I think Alliant is the only one however that puts it in 5 pounders now .

Actually I think the big jug of Trailboss I have is a 5 pounder as well , but I do believe thats the only one in rifle powders that Hogdon/IMR/WIN sell anylonger as well .
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 16-04-2013 at 03:04.

The reason is here in the UK the numpties still believe that smokeless powder is an explosive. Even Bomb Disposal did not know it's a propellant. The Police were on about dangerous explosives and the RFD who eventually collected some of my powders from RAF storage had to enlighten them about smokeless propellants.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    The reason is here in the UK the numpties still believe that smokeless powder is an explosive. Even Bomb Disposal did not know it's a propellant. The Police were on about dangerous explosives and the RFD who eventually collected some of my powders from RAF storage had to enlighten them about smokeless propellants.
    LOL
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!