Thread: Blaser R8

Blaser R8

Didn't know where to put this so sorry if in wrong section...

off to Bisley for a few days for club match.. 300/600/1000 yds
    yds now, I am temporarily without an F/tr class rifle, sold my TRG last year and haven't got round to replacing it yet.

was thinking of taking my R8 6.5x55 with lightweight barrel down with me...

Am I running any risk of permanent barrel damage running 10 shot strings through it on the range?

​Thanks chaps

I find I can get to about 8 or 9 shots before I stop shooting my stalking rifles because it's getting hot. On one occasion I fired more, but four of us were taking turns at the same target. Regards JCS

If a barrel cannot cope with 10 shots one after the other then it's a pretty poor barrel.

!0 shots strings used to be the American standard for precision grouping testing, the British used seven it seems for some strange reason, Five rounds was the minimum normally accepted for group testing until fairly recently when all of a sudden it was three.

IMHO Three about tells you that the load has promise and one five round group tells you that your on the right track. Ten shows you that not only is you load performing but that you also are performing correctly. To truly teat a load it requires several representative groups of a minimum of five shots in each group..

Firing ten rounds in a standard chambering like the 6.5x55 should not generate enough heat in the throat to cause extra erosion. If the barrel is really light and has stresses in left from manufacture then you group might start to walk towards the end of the string.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    If a barrel cannot cope with 10 shots one after the other then it's a pretty poor barrel.

!0 shots strings used to be the American standard for precision grouping testing, the British used seven it seems for some strange reason, Five rounds was the minimum normally accepted for group testing until fairly recently when all of a sudden it was three.

IMHO Three about tells you that the load has promise and one five round group tells you that your on the right track. Ten shows you that not only is you load performing but that you also are performing correctly. To truly teat a load it requires several representative groups of a minimum of five shots in each group..

Firing ten rounds in a standard chambering like the 6.5x55 should not generate enough heat in the throat to cause extra erosion. If the barrel is really light and has stresses in left from manufacture then you group might start to walk towards the end of the string.
    Thanks Brit... I would expect it to wander, that I'm not overly concerned with.

I know a fair bit about firearms etc in general but when your club mates (some of whom are very experienced and one is a gunsmith) turn round and say.. "no more than 3 in a row or you'll bugger the barrel" you start to wonder if they are right!

That makes me feel a little better.. it's not an uber lightweight barrel by the way, it is just the standard weight blaser hunting barrel as opposed to the semi weight or the match.

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    Thanks Brit... I would expect it to wander, that I'm not overly concerned with.

I know a fair bit about firearms etc in general but when your club mates (some of whom are very experienced and one is a gunsmith) turn round and say.. "no more than 3 in a row or you'll bugger the barrel" you start to wonder if they are right!

That makes me feel a little better.. it's not an uber lightweight barrel by the way, it is just the standard weight blaser hunting barrel as opposed to the semi weight or the match.
    well i must have buggered loads of barrels ! i shot 7 hinds in quick succession last year and amazingly my 260 still groups fine ! honestly some 'gunsmiths' should just keep quiet sometimes, jeez!

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    well i must have buggered loads of barrels ! i shot 7 hinds in quick succession last year and amazingly my 260 still groups fine ! honestly some 'gunsmiths' should just keep quiet sometimes, jeez!
    Thanks Tack.. feel a lot better now!

Next question then, do you think 140gn Nosler Partitions will work out to 1K?

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    Thanks Tack.. feel a lot better now!

Next question then, do you think 140gn Nosler Partitions will work out to 1K?
    well they will get there but i think you would be a lot better with something a little more slippery like an AMAX or scenar?

I am sorry to say that after listening to some "Gunsmiths" and reading what some others have to say my thoughts are that they do not know what the hell they are on about!

I am sure most are just out to frighten "clients" into spending huge amounts on a new barrel or rifle. in all my time shooting and handling rifles I believe that I have seen two genuine worn out rifle barrels. One was a 303 P-14 that saw use in WW1 service with the Home Guard in WW2 and god only knows how many rounds through it as a Service target rifle the first 5" of the barrels throat was smooth with no visible rifling left. It was retired for good when it could no longer hold the Bull of the 200 yd Bisley target at 100 yards. The second was the 270 Winchester chambered one that must have been a pest control/deer control rifle as the throat on that was also badly eroded. With the right load it would still shoot about 1 1/4 MOA but finiding the right load was getting harder plus the outside was in very poor condition.

Shot out barrels are far less common that these "gunsmiths" would have most believe. I use the term "Gunsmiths" very loosely here!

I think barrel life expectations stem from the desire to realise bench rest rifle-like groups from sporting rifles that in truth is now a reality in all but the poorest custom-assembled* offerings. Some factory rifles too I hear you say. (*Note: I use the word “assembled” as in that attributable to the B&Q equipped Weekend Plumber!)

Clearly if 5-round keyhole groups are what our Nimrod starts out with it won’t take thousands of rounds to see that open up slightly, at which point up goes the cry that is manna to our Barrel Plummer’s ear: “My bore is ****ed!”

Cheers

K