Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A disastrous day at bisley for me

Post A disastrous day at bisley for me

I shot 1000yds yesterday,the best I've ever shot at that range,absolutely nailed the figure 11,went home with a big smile on my face and was very pleased with how i shot,results came this morning and I was last,whoever marked my target didn't do it proper,not sure what happened,I shot along side one of the clubs top shots and I knew I beat him by the look on his face said it all,according to the results he was 1st and should of been second to me,I've been absolutely gutted all day,I drove nearly 4 hours there and back,wasted fuel ammo and my time,I email club secretary with my thoughts on the matter,I felt embarrassed and gutted to see my name on the bottom of the scoring when I shot amazing

It's no consolation, but both you and he know that you nailed it...

It would be nice if he also had a word with the club secretary, but that's between him and his conscience I guess.

Cheers
    iain
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Doesn't matter mate,

You know you nailed it. To worry overmuch about where your name is on a list takes the fun out of it! Been on the top of a few myself, you find yourself Needing to be there after a while. That's when i sit down and watch Kelly's Heroes, ditch my negative waves and chillax again.

All there is to do now is beat the James Blunt again Next time!

Of course, if there was a Cash prize for first place i can royally understand some bitterness!
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

He had a similar thing happen 2 months ago,him and another club member did the 24 shot comp,4 of them are siters,the idiots down the butts put the markers up each set of targets but didn't write scores down,everybody is subject to poor marking but that's 3 times in a row now I've had bad scoring,last time I had 15 hits on fig11 targets,some good ones in there,where did the other 5 shots go,if I hit fig11 targets 15 times I am hardly going to miss the whole backer that's 10 times as big

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    I shot 1000yds yesterday,the best I've ever shot at that range,absolutely nailed the figure 11,went home with a big smile on my face and was very pleased with how i shot,results came this morning and I was last,whoever marked my target didn't do it proper,not sure what happened,I shot along side one of the clubs top shots and I knew I beat him by the look on his face said it all,according to the results he was 1st and should of been second to me,I've been absolutely gutted all day,I drove nearly 4 hours there and back,wasted fuel ammo and my time,I email club secretary with my thoughts on the matter,I felt embarrassed and gutted to see my name on the bottom of the scoring when I shot amazing
    bad luck, when i do range days i always take a picture for such debates later in the pub.
    sorry mate, **** happens and its not pleasant. lesson learnt for next time.

​look forward to seeing your next one with cup in hand

They are only inter club comps but that's not the point when I get up at 5.15am and travel 100 miles to get there for somebody to ruin my whole days enjoyment.i still enjoyed the day until I read the results this morning,today was also ruined,I've been miserable all day

Afraid I've been there and seen that...use to shoot practical rifle until I worked out the degree of gamesmanship involved by some.
    I remember one day a particular sequence involved putting as many shots into a Fig 14 at 100 yards but the scoring was only on the inner ring whereas the outer scored a minus...basically, you could knock out two inner scores with on outer hit. Anyway, we had to "mind" each other and count shots as the inner could be chopped to bits. The chap I was supervising had something like a Parker Hale M85 with twenty round M14 magazines. He applies one magazine which, about 2/3 through the sequence of 1 minute, runs dry...doh! Loaded only ten rounds! Duh...and I count ten rounds fired. Matey tells RO "Fired twenty..." I reply "That's not right...etc" RO sides with me.
    At the end of the day he convinces his mate the scorer that he'd fired twenty...wins the day. What a stunt.
    I stopped playing that day.

Seen same later on shooting historic stuff...gamesmanship rules.

They are only inter club comps but that's not the point when I get up at 5.15am and travel 100 miles to get there for somebody to ruin my whole days enjoyment.i still enjoyed the day until I read the results this morning,today was also ruined,I've been miserable all day
    This'll make you feel better!

Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Established Poster
    Bad luck, Swarovski

I can barely see the targets at 1,000 yards and Stickledown is known to be a tricky range. As others have said, at least you know you did well.

It was worth emailing and training those in the butts may be something that the NRA should look into.

Stalin's quote comes to mind, "It's not the voting but the counting that matters."

Chris.

the marking at Bisley is variable, contact the range office with the target number,date and time and complain, its the only way to get things improved.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."