Thread: first mistake reloading query

first mistake reloading query

while trying to load some different loads to normal I read the data wrong , I started the load 1 gr below minimum , 45gr instead of 46gr. probably due to doing too many in one go.

Out comes the kinetic hammer ( never thought I would need but mark at 1967SPUD said I would definitely need one and he was right) first attempts were feeble but got the hang of it. got the powder in a tub, the bullets to one side and the primed cases in a loading tray.

question ; can i reuse all components again ??? would the cases be ok to use as they are, or would they need their necks re-sized as the bullet would have stretched the brass?

sorry if this sounds daft.

cheers leon
    Last edited by charlie-hunter; 16-04-2013 at 11:06.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie-hunter View Post
    while trying to load some different loads to normal I read the data wrong , I started the load 1 gr below minimum , 45gr instead of 46gr. probably due to doing too many in one go. (would they have been unsafe)?

Out comes the kinetic hammer ( never thought I would need but mark at 1967SPUD said I would definitely need one and he was right) first attempts were feeble but got the hang of it. got the powder in a tub, the bullets to one side and the primed cases in a loading tray.

question ; can i reuse all components again ??? would the cases be ok to use as they are, or would they need their necks re-sized as the bullet would have stretched the brass?

sorry if this sounds daft.

cheers leon
    they will be fine to us again,you will need to re size the neck,to do this without removing the primer just take the de capping pin out of your die,

do i take the whole lot out or just the pin???

do i take the whole lot out or just the pin???
    just the pin

Since most loading data has the instructions to start 5% below listed minimum loads I'm not certain why you are pulling the powder. There are very few powders that are hazardous to load below minimum.~Muir

(And for the love of God, please don't say you're afraid the gun will blow up.)

Ha ha no muir, I just wanted to start at that amount of powder, didn't want to waste ammunition as it is getting harder to get our hands on it at the moment.

Just a query why have a minimum powder charge and then say to start 5% below?

Cheers Leon

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    they will be fine to us again,you will need to re size the neck,to do this without removing the primer just take the de capping pin out of your die,
    The shaft of the decapping pin works also as a mandrel which the neck of the case is formed around, at least that is the case with my Lee dies. I once tried as you indicate and crushed the case neck. I had to make a new shaft without decapping pin to achieve what you are describing.

I am not sure that they'll need resizing anyway as they haven't been fired. Measure and try a bullet in them first.

Ha ha no muir, I just wanted to start at that amount of powder, didn't want to waste ammunition as it is getting harder to get our hands on it at the moment.

Just a query why have a minimum powder charge and then say to start 5% below?

Cheers Leon
    Because reloading data is a guide, not an absolute. It is what the providers of the data found to be a prudent load range with useable velocities for the cartridge at the lower end, and maximum pressures at the upper end at that day, with that lot of powder, from that test vehicle. Powder lots change. Your gun is different from theirs. It's just smart.

That said, chances are that the 1 grain wouldn't have made a huge difference in performance.~Muir