Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Leica Geovid Bins

New Leica Geovid Bins

Has anyone seen or used a pair of the new Leica Geovid RF binoculars ?

If so what are your thoughts ?

Regards

​Ed

Yes i have a pair and have had them for a few years now,I sold a pair of Swaro el's to get them and I think I did the right thing,they are fantastic.

Martin

Had mine over a year now, and have had no issues with them great bit of kit.

Guys... The new geovids have only just hit the shelves, the ones you have are the old ones now

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    Guys... The new geovids have only just hit the shelves, the ones you have are the old ones now
    Vipa sorry you are correct mine are the old hd ones.God its late im away to bed now!

I have wondered how long it will be before Swarovski bring out an upgraded version of their range finding bins to compete with the new Leica's. The new Leica's look good, but it would be nice to handle them, even to compare them and the Swarovski ones together. It is a huge price for the likes of me to invest without some further guidance, so if anyone has any info on the NEW Leica's it would be much appreciated!

​Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post

Which shelves ? Where ?

Regards

​Ed

These have been discussed quite a bit elsewhere (not on SD), but some of the differences are:

the new Leica uses a porro-prism design - the pro's and con's are a huge can of worms, but essentially a porro has better light transmission than a roof-prism (all other things (i.e. glass/coatings) being equal). The key difference here is that the new perger porro design apparently allows the laser beam path to be kept away from the optical path. This has been a major weakness of previous rangefinder binocular designs as can be seen from the transmission tests comparing left and right barrels (especially the zeiss which has been weak in this area (see http://www.allbinos.com/205-binocula...x56_T*_RF.html)), with the barrel that receives the laser reflection having much lower transmission levels. Having said that, the swarovski is a particularly good performer in this regard with a very small difference seen between the two barrels (see http://www.houseofoutdoor.com/testra...Fdec2011-1.pdf).

I think this perger porro design also allows the elecronics to be hidden inside the barrels whereas the swarovskis have the electonics slung underneath.

Other than that, I think that only the swarovski and new leica have built in shooting angle/horizontal distance compensation.

The new Leica has a ballistic computer inside which can be programmed for your specific bullet/cartridge/zero distance etc. via a micro-sd card slot. This can also read out in click adjustments for your scope's elevation turret adjustment.....

They are hellishly expensive though and it would be cheaper to have say a Leica CRF 1600B and a Zeiss HT binocular. Its a question of whether there is any light transmission trade off and if this outweighs the practical disadvantage of having two separate units.

Quote Originally Posted by JabaliHunter View Post
    These have been discussed quite a bit elsewhere (not on SD), but some of the differences are:

the new Leica uses a porro-prism design - the pro's and con's are a huge can of worms, but essentially a porro has better light transmission than a roof-prism (all other things (i.e. glass/coatings) being equal). The key difference here is that the new perger porro design apparently allows the laser beam path to be kept away from the optical path. This has been a major weakness of previous rangefinder binocular designs as can be seen from the transmission tests comparing left and right barrels (especially the zeiss which has been weak in this area (see http://www.allbinos.com/205-binocula...x56_T*_RF.html)), with the barrel that receives the laser reflection having much lower transmission levels. Having said that, the swarovski is a particularly good performer in this regard with a very small difference seen between the two barrels (see http://www.houseofoutdoor.com/testra...Fdec2011-1.pdf).

I think this perger porro design also allows the elecronics to be hidden inside the barrels whereas the swarovskis have the electonics slung underneath.

Other than that, I think that only the swarovski and new leica have built in shooting angle/horizontal distance compensation.

The new Leica has a ballistic computer inside which can be programmed for your specific bullet/cartridge/zero distance etc. via a micro-sd card slot. This can also read out in click adjustments for your scope's elevation turret adjustment.....

They are hellishly expensive though and it would be cheaper to have say a Leica CRF 1600B and a Zeiss HT binocular. Its a question of whether there is any light transmission trade off and if this outweighs the practical disadvantage of having two separate units.
    But it just goes to show how meaningless transmission levels truly are... I have the zeiss Rf bins and cannot, in any light level or circumstance detect any difference whatsoever between the barrels! With modern optics and particularly top shelf, the point at which the human eye can actually detect any difference is surpassed waaaayyyy down the line...

That depends on the eye! Many people can see visible differences once you go past 2-3% variation in light transmission