Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 243/6mmbr

243/6mmbr

good day all, I have a 243 which is getting a bit worn now and rather than buy a new rifle I was thinking of getting it rebareled as the stock fits me well and its a Remington action (which im told is a good action), im happy with 243 but after reading up on rebarreling the 6mmbr seems a good bet, less powder less recoil and beats it on accuracy also longer barrel life but I thought id ask you helpful bunch as I dare say one or two of you have some experience many thanks

I love my 6br - Just as you say, it's sweet to shoot, laser accurate, easy to reload and .243 type performance. I have a Savage action with a Shilen 1 in 8 barrel. It's quite happy shooting the 108gn or 80gn bullets just the same. With 30ish grains of Varget at about 2900 it shoots well.

I have had a .243 Howa 1500 but I wouldn't swap back.

5 shots at 110yds

5 shots 220yds

Last edited by 1066; 16-04-2013 at 11:24.

Never owned one but shot a couple that friends have built. And to they shoot superbly. If you go for a 1 in 8 twist youshould be able to shoot a wide range of bullets.

Not all actions will be able to feed the br rounds. Your remmy should if you get a ai mag system on it.

Sorry bernibear don;t mean ti hi-jack you thread but i was thinkin of same thing but for 6ppc and go from a 19" to a 22" in my sty' scout ,i'v never had one so don't no what who or how? been told a barrel job would be around 500 . also as i have my .243 down as a .243/6mm on ticket do i need to tell the flo ! as it is same cal?

Quote Originally Posted by berniebear View Post
    good day all, I have a 243 which is getting a bit worn now and rather than buy a new rifle I was thinking of getting it rebareled as the stock fits me well and its a Remington action (which im told is a good action), im happy with 243 but after reading up on rebarreling the 6mmbr seems a good bet, less powder less recoil and beats it on accuracy also longer barrel life but I thought id ask you helpful bunch as I dare say one or two of you have some experience many thanks
    Last edited by paul o'; 16-04-2013 at 12:32.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Had a 6mm br a few years back, cracking rifle/calibre.

have a 243 now and its done the job well on deer but no contest when it came to long range furball bashing, the 6mm br won every time.

Wiltshire like to be calibre specific so i had to say 6mm br not just a 6mm, they will not have it same with the 20 cal, i had to say 20 tactical rather than 20 cal rifle.

bob.

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    was gonner think of same thing for 6ppc go from a 19" to a 22" in my sty' scout ,i'v never had one so don't no what who or how? been told a barrel job would be around 500 . also as i have my .243 down as a .243/6mm on ticket do i need to tell the flo ! as it is same cal?
    Barrel prices are around 650 plus now around most smiths. Plus extras like thread cap and bead blast.
    Etc. You would have the right bolt to barrel to 6ppc as they are different to 22/250.243.6br 260.308 bolt face

thanks feller i'll ask the Q' to my flo

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    Had a 6mm br a few years back, cracking rifle/calibre.

have a 243 now and its done the job well on deer but no contest when it came to long range furball bashing, the 6mm br won every time.

Wiltshire like to be calibre specific so i had to say 6mm br not just a 6mm, they will not have it same with the 20 cal, i had to say 20 tactical rather than 20 cal rifle.

bob.

Quote Originally Posted by berniebear View Post
    what about a 243 AI 200/300 FPS over a std 243 less case stretch and less throat erosion,blinds a 6mm br as a field rifle

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    thanks feller i'll ask the Q' to my flo
    just called the flo i can have a barrel change to a 6br or 6ppc- .243ai without telling them, as my cert states .243/6mm rifle yeehaa glad i made them put imp and metric down for all rifles and ammo
    so who is cheap "n" good in the southeast but puts in good barrels ! now there a Q' As said Styer scout is the rifle .234 at this time which one should i go for! would like flat hard hitting quite as po's and don't need to run over hot to reach there 58/100gr pills
    atb paul

OR should i sell mine and get one done??? off the net
    Last edited by paul o'; 16-04-2013 at 14:19.

Never have had a 6 BR , have had a 6 PPC that was very nice and I see no reason the BR wouldn't be so as well !

Shot a friends 22BR several times and that one always shot nicely if I did my part .