Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid question -polishing bullets

Stupid question -polishing bullets

Alright guys I'm pretty sure this is a stupid question but I'm sure someone may have tried this and can answer it for me.

Whilst looking at a new box of Federal PowerShoks (I know they're at the cheaper end of the factory ammo quality) I couldn't help but notice how rough and ragged some of the lead tips were. This got me thinking back to some SAS thriller book I read when I was a teenager where the author mentioned the "sniper" polished his bullets to make them more accurate.

so my question is if you polished or at least smoothed the lead tip to make it a bit neater would it make it more accurate? Has anyone actually tried this and noted the results?

i look forward to hearing people's answers and no doubt the massive amount of p*ss taking!!

polish nah, a little rub off with wire wool though makes them look better if they've tarnished but the lead tips of spitzer's are always getting bashed. Don't worry too much about the profile of the tip but you can usually give it a reshape with you're nail. There is a tool for re-shaping a spitzer point but it's bot going to make the bullet perform better, just look pretty.

I shot a roe with a sierra game king that was pretty much purple with the tip almost flattened that had been in a reload that was too tight, so I stripped and rebuilt that bullet after fl sizing. Don't worry about it too much, it's hunting ammo not match.

the tip of a bullet has next to no effect on the bullet , it's the base that really affects acuracy (i read an interesting test on it once in an american book) so shoot away and don't worry i'd say?

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    the tip of a bullet has next to no effect on the bullet , it's the base that really affects acuracy (i read an interesting test on it once in an american book) so shoot away and don't worry i'd say?
    Correct.~Muir

I always polish my bullets before an outing and when sat at my peg, am in the habit of sharpening them while waiting for the wild boar to come my way.
    My nurse calls it Therapy and my doctor says it doesn't do any harm for me to have a hobby so I carry on regardless.
    It gets a bit fiddly when I only have my .22rf with me but I usually use the 30-06 so that's OK.

I did think that as its not common practice it probably doesn't make a blind bit of difference but thought I'd ask just in case it was some hidden stalkers tip that only SD member knew about

I can't make more accurate ammo than the Federal Power Shok for my 308W and mine are no different - the bullets all look different shapes and they seem to be all seated to different lengths as well. It certainly puts paid to most of the mombo-jumbo talked about reloading.

Shoot them at a target and see how they behave for you, in the end that is the only test that really matters and none of us internet experts can predict how it might turn out. If they work for you call them good to go and if not, well it is unlikely to be the slightly deformed tips but you might find it interesting to experiment for your own amusement.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    I would not agree Tackb, the point may have very little effect on a SP bullet used at 100-200 yards however for a competition target bullet it has a huge impact. If I modify the meplat (point) of a 180 Berger Hybrid I can reduce the elevation required to get to 1000 yards by just over a minute, as well as reducing elevation it gives reduced vertical dispersion across a 10 shot string and will reduce the windage required as well. This means shots are guaranteed to be better placed and all this on a Berger 180 which has a reasonable meplat and G7 BC. The new tip is 0,38mm diameter once pointed.

I was Talking to Tim Stewart who is an F/TR shooter the other day and he reckons on a maximum vertical dispersion of around .35 MOA or put it another way he expects every single shot to be where he aims plus or minus under 2" vertically at 1000 yards.

In order of magnitude I would say the the bearing surface followed by base to upper edge of bearing surface, followed by weight and then bullet point and point consistency are the way to go for a target round. For a SP however such measurements are totally unnecessary and as long as the bullets are visually uniform and of similar weight there is not a lot more that is needed.
    /d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tųj jeg har paa ...

Journal: http://shootingshed.co.uk/wp/

Quote Originally Posted by Ovenpaa View Post
    I would not agree Tackb, the point may have very little effect on a SP bullet used at 100-200 yards however for a competition target bullet it has a huge impact. If I modify the meplat (point) of a 180 Berger Hybrid I can reduce the elevation required to get to 1000 yards by just over a minute, as well as reducing elevation it gives reduced vertical dispersion across a 10 shot string and will reduce the windage required as well. This means shots are guaranteed to be better placed and all this on a Berger 180 which has a reasonable meplat and G7 BC. The new tip is 0,38mm diameter once pointed.

I was Talking to Tim Stewart who is an F/TR shooter the other day and he reckons on a maximum vertical dispersion of around .35 MOA or put it another way he expects every single shot to be where he aims plus or minus under 2" vertically at 1000 yards.

In order of magnitude I would say the the bearing surface followed by base to upper edge of bearing surface, followed by weight and then bullet point and point consistency are the way to go for a target round. For a SP however such measurements are totally unnecessary and as long as the bullets are visually uniform and of similar weight there is not a lot more that is needed.
    you do agree according to your last paragraph? but as far as the poster is concerned it has little bearing on his requirements?

I do agree for stalking pointing is not going to make any tangible difference assuming the shooter is working within a reasonable distance, obviously there are always going to be occasions when people push the envelope and attempt to shoot something at longer distances. Personally I have very strong views on such shots but that is outside of this post.

The point (No pun intended) I was trying to make was pointing does have a significant impact on some disciplines and types of bullet.

Will we be seeing you at Barton Road on Saturday?
    /d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tųj jeg har paa ...

Journal: http://shootingshed.co.uk/wp/