Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the Yips

the Yips

Anyone gone through a period where, for no apparent reason, they just can't shoot for sh*t?

Had a wonderful start to March, where it seemed as if I just couldn't miss, and it was all effortless.

And then I started missing. Everything. At short ranges, under ideal conditions, with different rifles and different quarries.

Re-zeroed everything - only to discover that even shooting at paper off a bipod I was off - just couldn't find any kind of consistency, with .22, .222 or .243.

It's obviously some sort of psychological hang up.

What's the cure??

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Anyone gone through a period where, for no apparent reason, they just can't shoot for sh*t?

Had a wonderful start to March, where it seemed as if I just couldn't miss, and it was all effortless.

And then I started missing. Everything. At short ranges, under ideal conditions, with different rifles and different quarries.

Re-zeroed everything - only to discover that even shooting at paper off a bipod I was off - just couldn't find any kind of consistency, with .22, .222 or .243.

What's the cure??
    Try giving all your stalking to someone else..
    Only joking honest. Just start to relax, the more you get wound up about it the worse it will get.Possibly some time off from it will help.
    ATB
    John.

Just when you think your a great shot you go to crap and your not the expert you thought you were ...... That's shooting and especially stalking love it .it will return !!!
    ​Norma

​Ps when you stop trying so hard !

[QUOTE=Mungo;566583]Anyone gone through a period where, for no apparent reason, they just can't shoot for sh*t?

Yep me too. I've had a period of not being able to shoot. The last 40 years

Quote Originally Posted by HotDogsForTea View Post

Yep me too. I've had a period of not being able to shoot. The last 40 years
    ​+1

Me too, three head shot roe with the 270, followed by two missis on pump house shots, and missed a roe buck last night with the 243, so three misses on the trot, my nipper took a lovely picture of. Tree I shot though.

What's the cure??
    Specsaver's LOL
    Happen's to us all at some time!
    ATB
    Wullie.
    Your a long time dead, enjoy every day like it's your last!!!

What's the cure??
    A couple of thoughts. I am having some issues with my right eye just now and among other things am getting new specs. Second thought is have more practice with one specific rifle. I fire at least 20 practice shots to each shot at deer. Third thought is to pass on the 'challenging' shots that you would normally take without a second thought. I had a buck in my sights on Friday morning, but I let him go as it was doable, but close to my limit and a smaller buck was already lying dead in the field.

If there are folk knocking your performance, or filling your head with nonsense, avoid them. Do things in your own time at your own pace and rebuild your confidence in small steps. I certainly find that sometimes I stalk better than others, sometimes I shoot better than others. Sometimes my performance is mince and I get annoyed with myself when I can't cast for toffee. When you don't feel at the top of your game there's much to be said for letting the buck walk on by and getting him another time.

Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 16-04-2013 at 12:18.

Did you have a hang over?

Most people use their index finger to pull the trigger,try pointing your index finger down the barrel and use your middle finger to pull the trigger for a while until it comes back to you,you are probably getting a bit anxious when pulling the trigger.