the Yips

Mungo

Anyone gone through a period where, for no apparent reason, they just can't shoot for sh*t?

Had a wonderful start to March, where it seemed as if I just couldn't miss, and it was all effortless.

And then I started missing. Everything. At short ranges, under ideal conditions, with different rifles and different quarries.

Re-zeroed everything - only to discover that even shooting at paper off a bipod I was off - just couldn't find any kind of consistency, with .22, .222 or .243.

It's obviously some sort of psychological hang up.

What's the cure??

Anyone gone through a period where, for no apparent reason, they just can't shoot for sh*t?

Had a wonderful start to March, where it seemed as if I just couldn't miss, and it was all effortless.

And then I started missing. Everything. At short ranges, under ideal conditions, with different rifles and different quarries.

Re-zeroed everything - only to discover that even shooting at paper off a bipod I was off - just couldn't find any kind of consistency, with .22, .222 or .243.

What's the cure??

Try giving all your stalking to someone else.:rofl::rofl:.
Only joking honest. Just start to relax, the more you get wound up about it the worse it will get.Possibly some time off from it will help.
ATB
John.

Just when you think your a great shot you go to crap and your not the expert you thought you were ...... That's shooting and especially stalking love it .it will return !!!
​Norma

​Ps when you stop trying so hard !

Me too, three head shot roe with the 270, followed by two missis on pump house shots, and missed a roe buck last night with the 243, so three misses on the trot, my nipper took a lovely picture of. Tree I shot though.

What's the cure??
Specsaver's LOL
Happen's to us all at some time!
ATB
Wullie.

What's the cure??

A couple of thoughts. I am having some issues with my right eye just now and among other things am getting new specs. Second thought is have more practice with one specific rifle. I fire at least 20 practice shots to each shot at deer. Third thought is to pass on the 'challenging' shots that you would normally take without a second thought. I had a buck in my sights on Friday morning, but I let him go as it was doable, but close to my limit and a smaller buck was already lying dead in the field.

If there are folk knocking your performance, or filling your head with nonsense, avoid them. Do things in your own time at your own pace and rebuild your confidence in small steps. I certainly find that sometimes I stalk better than others, sometimes I shoot better than others. Sometimes my performance is mince and I get annoyed with myself when I can't cast for toffee. When you don't feel at the top of your game there's much to be said for letting the buck walk on by and getting him another time.

Regards JCS

Last edited:
Most people use their index finger to pull the trigger,try pointing your index finger down the barrel and use your middle finger to pull the trigger for a while until it comes back to you,you are probably getting a bit anxious when pulling the trigger.

if your sure you cant hit , set your mobile phone/full flask or anything else you need! up with a good back stop. fate, sods law will make sure you hit it

problem sorted:D . it might just work

Foxes?
my heart races with the ginger bastewards! gives me the shakes something rotten.
Them and Magpies for some reason!
I seem to be able to pull the trigger on everything else from rabbits to red stags with perfect breathing and patience, show me a fox or a magpie and I turn into a gibbering wreck!! I missed a magpie out the back door at about 6yds just the other day!

back to basics for confidence (which as blokes you should know is the key to everything)
make sure everything fits and is comfortable, I had a stiff neck from tucking my mobile under my chin and it was playing havoc with my eye relief and cheek weld when prone.
start at short range prone for everything and work out and up.

once you have found you game at 25yds then gradually extend yourself to longer distances and standing/sticks/bonnets etc

Assuming your kit is good and you haven't changed anything, had a knock etc. it's all in your head mate. The more you stress about it, the worse it will get. Easy to say but relax.

Oh, it's definitely all in my head!

Thanks for the responses folks - good bit of therapy. Always good to know that others have similar problems.

I find the moment you believe your a unbelievable shot you instantly become far too relaxed in your manner and take it for granted that it will be bull's eye every time.
Then your confidence hits rock bottom, you may be scared to take the shot leading to hesitation and possibly a poor hit shot on your target.
Few years back I was shooting my best as I believed clover leafing everything from bi-pod and 2 inch square from the sticks (this was down at the target range).
Out for the doe season couldn't hit a barn door as they say, I blamed the ammo at first not thinking that I could do wrong. Back to the range as didn't want to injure a deer and I was all over the place. I then managed too speak to a ex sniper who told me a few home truths.
Don't stress about, enjoy what your doing leading to tighter groups appearing.

I'm with Bewsher500, two weeks ago couldn't get comfortable lying prone and couldn't zero for toffee. Spent the next week at home with a disc gone in the back. Couldn't feel it at the time but it put my eye relief out, and my accuracy all to cock.

A really tricky issue and one that I can sympathise with. Precise physical activities not only require the muscle memory of how to do it, but also the confidence that when you do it, you do it right. I'm guessing you've taken your kit to bits and checked everything and it's all fine. I'm also guessing that there is nothing physical that has changed - like eyes as previous posts have covered. Have you had a big miss recently ? Of perhaps anything that went wrong that could have shaken the confidence ?

When top class sports people loose form - especially when there is nothing else like injury to predicate it, the cure is generally lots of time doing the basic and then upping the game to ultimately reach their previous form.

I would suggest - and I do so with the utmost respect to you and your abilities - that you set up a beer mat, get out the .22 and at 15m and shoot at it in every position. If it's not working at 15m then bring it in to 10m. When you're consistently shooting move it out another 5m. This will help 're-install' your muscle memory and build your shot to shot confidence. The good old .22 is a wonderful leveller. Generally, if you can do it with a .22 you can do it with most other things. When you're comfortable, move calibre and try taking it out again.

I really hope you get this sorted.

FN

Oh, it's definitely all in my head!

Thanks for the responses folks - good bit of therapy. Always good to know that others have similar problems.

Had this a bit just recently myself not so much can't shoot , more can't stalk ! Just need to chill and go back to basics , it's all about being patient and mindful !

Yeh just when you think your Top shot.
I haven't been able to get out shooting for a while (knee op) and its now driving me nuts.
But a bit of dry firing has hopefully helped me stay on form.

It helps to have a clear head when your out & about, if you got things on your mind it will affect the way you shoot.

Back