Off the bonnet.

goathunter1

Many on here will remember the ease of shooting using the spare wheel on a landrover bonnet as a rest. Many deer, foxes, corvids will have met their end with shooters using that excellent platform. The question is, is it legal to mount a spare wheel on the pickup bonnet for the same reason? There's never been any question about the wheel when my old landrover goes in for it's MOT. What think you?
I suppose it helps that I'm tall right enough and can get onto the wheel easily. We had one mounted on the back door to use as a rest as well.

I was just thinking of doing the same thing with my pickup. I might just pop over to the test station to find out.

not sure the bonnets of some of the newer 4X4's are strong enough to take a spare wheel these days ?

seem to remember the series 3 landies had 2 struts underneath the bonnet ?

ATB

CVK

Many on here will remember the ease of shooting using the spare wheel on a landrover bonnet as a rest. Many deer, foxes, corvids will have met their end with shooters using that excellent platform. The question is, is it legal to mount a spare wheel on the pickup bonnet for the same reason? There's never been any question about the wheel when my old landrover goes in for it's MOT. What think you?
I suppose it helps that I'm tall right enough and can get onto the wheel easily. We had one mounted on the back door to use as a rest as well.

seems a bit OTT to get a good rest whats wrong with a bipod or a heavy bag ?? I wouldn't want to mount a wheel on the bonnet of a modern pick up as the weight would flex the bonet are there like tin foil nowerdays.

+1 Everyone makes mountains out of mole hills nowadays no need when you can purchase items to do the job with ease

Hmm. Some positives, some negatives. Speed was the great thing. Out the door, rifle on wheel. Pop. May I ask howy308, what equates to as easy as that?

I asked that very question of land rover the other day, I have just ordered a new pick up and didn't want the spare eating into valuable load space so I enquired about it being mounted on the bonnet. Apparently its not allowed anymore due to VOSA regs. Presumably to protect pedestrians. Having said that on a Landy I bet you'd get away with it.

Just to let the OP know that a spare wheel on the bonnet is not an mot item even if it would obstruct the view of the road, nor would be a bl**dy great bonnet scoop but a crack oooooh say 20mm long obstructing the view of the road would be a fail. "Mascots and other external mountings forward of the windscreen are not part of the test"

Last edited:
The Landrover had a different bonnet for use as a spare wheel holder, specially shaped and capable of securing the wheel. Also the front bumper was solid enough to stand on when you wanted to lift the spare off.

Last edited:
Aye, I must say wrestling the wheel off was always a pain. Some of the lads could only have a half wheel on the back door because of the tow bar.

I know a chap who, when shooting foxes at night, put a bullet through the bonnet and out the wing. He said it gave the lads at the coach builders something to talk about! We've all got to remember the scope is higher than the barrel! Now, that would probably never happen when shooting off the wheel on the old landrover. Or would it?

I saw a tip somewhere for shooting off a vehicle bonnet. Simply buy a Glass lifter for about £10 and cable tie some foam to the handle. Bobs your uncle! I keep one in my Hilux and simply attach it to my bonnet when I get to the shooting area. Very effective. Very cheap and its going nowhere once attached. Also no damage to your paintwork!

I saw a tip somewhere for shooting off a vehicle bonnet. Simply buy a Glass lifter for about £10 and cable tie some foam to the handle. Bobs your uncle! I keep one in my Hilux and simply attach it to my bonnet when I get to the shooting area. Very effective. Very cheap and its going nowhere once attached. Also no damage to your paintwork!

Or two with a foam covered plastic pipe wedged between each for a highseat rest type of arrangement. ;)

Back