Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting a scope on tikka m65.

Mounting a scope on tikka m65.

I am looking to mount my new vortex viper pst 2.5-10 X 44 on my tikka m65 6.5x55 and am having a few issues with mounts and rings so wondered if anyone can help out. I currently have this standard type of Leopold 2 piece mount which is screwed into the top rail, however the tube on my vortex is to short to fit between the rings and as they are screwed in place i cannot adjust the distance between the rings.
    What would be the best rings to get so that i can fit the scope using the standard tikka dovetail which is on the rife?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

This will help you:-

Leupold step back ring. And yes there is actually some clearance between scopes objective bell and ring and base.

Have a look at the Hilver rings for Tikka from the optics warehouse. I can recommend highly both the company and Hilver. http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/pro...e+Base+Systems
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian.H View Post
    I am looking to mount my new vortex viper pst 2.5-10 X 44 on my tikka m65 6.5x55 and am having a few issues with mounts and rings so wondered if anyone can help out. I currently have this standard type of Leopold 2 piece mount which is screwed into the top rail, however the tube on my vortex is to short to fit between the rings and as they are screwed in place i cannot adjust the distance between the rings.
    What would be the best rings to get so that i can fit the scope using the standard tikka dovetail which is on the rife?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks
    As you're looking for a one-piece solution, use rings designed for the Tikka M65 dovetails. ... these are the same dovetails as M595/M695.

Stopping mounts from moving on the rifle - Page 2
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I'm pretty certain I have EAW's that are seriously rock solid on an M65

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Have a look at the Hilver rings for Tikka from the optics warehouse. I can recommend highly both the company and Hilver. http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/pro...e+Base+Systems
    I also use a Hilver 1 piece base and Hilver rings and think they are great but I'm using them on a M55.

​Rick

Quote Originally Posted by night stalker View Post
    I also use a Hilver 1 piece base and Hilver rings and think they are great but I'm using them on a M55.

​Rick
    We're back to the point which the OP also made.

The M55 action is narrower and uses a column feed magazine. As you can't top load this action, a one-piece base with additional separate rings (if you must use such) works & doesn't hamper access. The magazine has to be loaded off the rifle, then snapped back in.

The M65 is a full size action, and uses a staggered-box magazine which does top load. Like the Sako M75/M85 it offers the best of both worlds as it's also detachable. A one-piece base impedes loading in this action so is a daft idea - particularly when rings with integral dovetails are available from several makers including Hilver.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I was actually suggesting the two piece seperate rings which clamp directly to the dovetail in a similar fashion to the original Tikka rings.
    I had a M65 in .308w some years ago and as you say one of the advantages of that model is that it can be top loaded in addition to loading the magazine and then inserting it. One of the stupidest moves I ever made was to sell that rifle.

Thanks for all your help, got myself some warne-tikka mounts yesterday, seemed to do the job nicely.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (8).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	327.2 KB 
ID:	27231

Should do the job nicely. I don't like Warne mounts personally because of the vertical split and them being a pain to fit (fiddly) but just the same I have a couple of sets of Warne and they seem to work.

What are the flecks at the back end of the receiver where the bolt enters?
    Last edited by 8x57; 18-04-2013 at 12:16.