Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can BDS Courses Help with restrictions on rifles

Can BDS Courses Help with restrictions on rifles

Can The DSC1 Course Help with restrictions when applying for my first deer rifle?

Currently hold 1 centerfire for fox control on designated ground, Rimfires all open condition. Fac held for 12 years

All thought appreciated

John
    Last edited by john444334; 16-04-2013 at 16:58.

It cant hurt.

Yes, but to the novice there is a lot more value in the DSC1 course in extending your basic knowledge. atb Tim

Although the BDS run DSC1 courses are widely acknowledged as being amoungst the best available, I doubt that the training provider would have any bearing on firearms licencing issues. I think that it is the qualification they look at not the provider.

If you are new to deer stalking then I'm sure you would enjoy doing DSC1 and also gain a lot from it.

You might be pleasantly suprised as they may not restrict you at all with a 12 year history of firearms ownership.

DSC 1 will teach you a lot but you still will have to show good reason to own and use one, letters from places you have booked stalking or have permission to stalk deer is needed.

yep DSC1 is a usefully course, and it does help with your FAC to some degree, as its show a level of comitment, i think you need to some land with deer on though or pre booked stalking to justifly it.
    atb
    simon

As long as you have "good reason" for the rifle then the DSC should be neither here nor there. That said, the DSC course is a good foundation for future stalking. Even though I have done a fair ammount of stalking I learned plenty from it

Quote Originally Posted by john444334 View Post
    Can The DSC1 Course Help with restrictions when applying for my first deer rifle?

Currently hold 1 centerfire for fox control on designated ground, Rimfires all open condition. Fac held for 12 years

All thought appreciated

John
    Yes, if you have the DSC1 AND can show in writing that you have a landowners permission to hunt deer AND have done or at least can proof you have booked approx. 5 stalks under the guidance of a professional, the Police is more likely to remove restrictions. But every case is looked at on an individual basis, taking other issues into consideration as well. Also there are large differences in approach from County to County.

sorry surely the only limiting factor here is deer

you either have them or don't

If I had been shooting foxes at night for 12 years and some FLO requested I did DSC1 before getting "deer" typed on a bit of paper I would tell him to shove it!!

Instead of pandering to the obsession with certificates and diplomas which are largely irrelevant I suggest we as sportsman strap on a pair and learn to argue a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    sorry surely the only limiting factor here is deer

you either have them or don't

If I had been shooting foxes at night for 12 years and some FLO requested I did DSC1 before getting "deer" typed on a bit of paper I would tell him to shove it!!

Instead of pandering to the obsession with certificates and diplomas which are largely irrelevant I suggest we as sportsman strap on a pair and learn to argue a bit better.
    I totally agree with you if you read my post that is what I said you put it rather more strongly