Thread: Top tips and ways of remembering all things deer

Top tips and ways of remembering all things deer

Well some of you know I'm studying for my dsc1. Any tips of remembering all things deer. For example the thread I started about seasons willie_gunn mentioned muntjac have a 777 cycle 7 month before they can breed, 7 month gestation and likely to be pregnant again in seven days. I found the very helpful and easy to digest. (Thanks willie)

are there any other tips that are broke down like that? I'm sorry I know I'm not the first or only person on the site to do his level one. I'm finding the DSCTraining.org website a godsend but I'm greedy and need all the hints tips and advice as possible and of course you will be helping all the other newbies

thank you in advance!

ps red and sika are a pain in the ass at distinguishing in some angles. As it is now I would struggle to figure out the species in a hunting situation unless I had a lot of time to glass the beast. Beautiful creatures indeed.
    Last edited by seanct; 16-04-2013 at 22:10. Reason: Miss quoted. My bad.

Please don't take this the wrong way and, this probably applies more to other recent DSC1 queries than yours, but, my advice is to learn the subject rather than learn how to remember the answers to the questions. I hope this makes sense.

For example, I have great faith in Willie Gunns knowledge of muntjac, but, are you sure you have understood his 777 thing correctly? Are you sure that its seven months before they are likely to be pregnant again?

Hi Seanct,

Try this to mnemonic to remind you of the lymph nodes.

"Stalking Roe Bucks Makes People Mad"

Meaning,

Submaxillary - under the mouth
    Retropharyngeal - back of throat
    Bronchial - windpipe
    Mediastinal - middle of lungs
    Portal - near the liver
    Mesenteric - on the intestines

Can't take the credit for the aide memoir, came from an old Willie Gunn post.

Willie
    Last edited by Willie; 16-04-2013 at 22:10.

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way and, this probably applies more to other recent DSC1 queries than yours, but, my advice is to learn the subject rather than learn how to remember the answers to the questions. I hope this makes sense.

For example, I have great faith in Willie Gunns knowledge of muntjac, but, are you sure you have understood his 777 thing correctly? Are you sure that its seven months before they are likely to be pregnant again?
    My bad I the read his post and I mis quoted him. He said initially 7 days not months. Ok so his tip works its just that I'm thick. You're right of course you need to learn the topic fully. Maybe by reading things properly in the first place.

Just an update I have taken my first mock exam today and passed. Obviously I need to keep at it and work on the questions I got wrong. Im surprised that I only identified one deer incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    I think aide memoirs are useful in helping you to learn a subject. Medicine for example is littered with these and they are a useful learning tool. I dont have any for deer though.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Hi Seanct,

Try this to mnemonic to remind you of the lymph nodes.

"Stalking Roe Bucks Makes People Mad"

Meaning,

Submaxillary - under the mouth
    Retropharyngeal - back of throat
    Bronchial - windpipe
    Mediastinal - middle of lungs
    Portal - near the liver
    Mesenteric - on the intestines

Can't take the credit for the aide memoir, came from an old Willie Gunn post.

Willie
    ​Level 2 is a long way off Willie.... one step at a time (good tip though)
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    ​Level 2 is a long way off Willie.... one step at a time (good tip though)
    i was thinking that I haven't come across any of these words. Thankyou all the same willie I have it a hand when the time comes.