Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stopping mounts from moving on the rifle

Stopping mounts from moving on the rifle

Hi all

At present i'm using a Brno ZKK 601 in .243 which has been my dads rifle since I don't know when but been having some accuracy problems recently. Have gone through a number of different problem areas and sure it was the scope (an old Tasco 6 x 40 which I think is past its best). Anyway a while back he bought a leopould scope so thought I would straight swap it to the rifle. Apart from the fact that it is a 30 mm diameter scope, the taper from the tube to the front lens is so long that it sits ON the iron sights and hence not into the mounts. The mounts are Parker Hale 17 mm with a stop pin protruding down into the rifle at the front so couldn't just move them 'back a bit'. Rail is a 17 mm dovetail.

Anyway got some different mounts and mounted the scope behind the iron sights but after trying to zero, found that the bases had moved forward (not the scope in the rings) so that the scope was touching the back face of the iron sight (was previously about 2 mm behind before firing a grand total of 12 rounds). Mounts were definitely tight enough but not overly so to weaken them. Needless to say I got scunnered with zeroing and here I am!

Does anyone know of a way to secure bases without having to drill out a new stop pin hole? Don't want to do it but needs must!

A good rifle and a reasonable quality scope (presumably there are no defects with either) then just a problem of marrying them together. Glad you got rid of the Parker Hale mounts because these are known to often be the cause of mounting problems with some scopes, been there have the tee shirt. Probably one of the weaker Parker Hale products were their scope rings, you can't beat steel.

Something that is often overlooked is the need for good scope mounts, you don't have to spend a fortune on mounts but having a good solid mounting system that properly fit the rifle is essential.

What mounts do you have now and are trying to make work, and are they actually any better quality than the PH mounts?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Are you using Millet Angle Locks? if so, bin them and get some others. The millets are notorious for not only mangling your scope, but also moving under recoil, trust me, been there too!

if you're not using millets, I can only assume you're using hilver, warne's, talley's, alaska arms, conetrol, EAW or Recknagel. Unless you've spent the equivalent of a small house, I'm guessing you've got hilvers or warne's. Both of these should have the integral recoil lug that slots into the LHS of the rear receiver bridge and stops them from moving under recoil, just make sure the lug when mounting the scope is sitting as far forward as possible.

do you have info on what you got or pictures?

Look NO further:

CONETROL DapTar Mounts. Drift them on with a wooden mallet and then tighten hex screws. Job done.

Cheers

K

Trying to remeber the rifle and mounting can you post sum close up pics as i may have mounts you may need high and a cheek peice or some warn/type that fit you can have F.O.C just PP
    Last edited by paul o'; 17-04-2013 at 09:45.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I have no idea! The ones I put on were found in the box of bits that is 'all things shooting' and to be honest only really put them on because they were at hand - they do not look good quality. Wishing I hadn't now and had my doubts if they were up to the task. To be fair the new scope and rings are giving me better groups (2.5 " which is still poor) than before with the old scope but trying to better a shotgun pattern isn't that hard! At present I'm looking for new mounts with the idea that I will drill a small hole for a stop stud in the mounts.

My new problem is now finding mounts that fit a 17 mm dovetail and have 30 mm scope rings. Can find one or the other but not both in the same set up. Have spoke to someone at phillip morris and sons who was very helpful but did not stock them and told me it may be a problem getting them.

If you have any suggestions I could follow up on I am all ears!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWill184 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

My new problem is now finding mounts that fit a 17 mm dovetail and have 30 mm scope rings. Can find one or the other but not both in the same set up. Have spoke to someone at phillip morris and sons who was very helpful but did not stock them and told me it may be a problem getting them.

If you have any suggestions I could follow up on I am all ears!
    http://conetrol.com/

They have what you need.

Cheers

K

Thanks all for the replies.

I will post some pictures when I get home (Work is getting in the way of my play yet again!) Also will have a better look at what the rings are though they are definitely coming off. They really are poor looking and really only put them on in desperation. Thats how we learn though by making an a**e of things that we should really know better about.

Thanks klenchblaize

Work computer won't let me in to the site but will check it out as soon as I get the chance.

You folks really are a helpful bunch!

Any idea what the cost of these are and if you have had any issues with them? Just looking at the picture do they have anything to lock them in to place?
    Last edited by ChrisWill184; 17-04-2013 at 09:57.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWill184 View Post
    ....Does anyone know of a way to secure bases without having to drill out a new stop pin hole? Don't want to do it but needs must!
    Chris. If at all possible, I would fit a rail to the rifle. I wish I had started using rails 15 years ago. I would have saved myself enough money to buy another rifle. I would suggest calling Craig at http://www.thirdeyetactical.com/thir...bsite2_011.htm and seeing what he can do for you. Regards JCS