Gun Camera

375 mag

Right ive been thinking of fitting a camera to my scope to record those special stalks can anyone recommend a camera for the job and where to purchase it from ?

Cheers for any info

375 mag

Was it Meopta who used to make a scope which incorporated a digital camera in the rifle scope? Don't know if they really caught on or are still available.

Right ive been thinking of fitting a camera to my scope to record those special stalks can anyone recommend a camera for the job and where to purchase it from ?

Cheers for any info

375 mag

Camera on the rifle is not a good idea from a safety perspective as it will encourage you to point a loaded rifle in directions which may not be safe. Much the same as why you use binoculars to look for deer and not your scope!!
Best to get a head mounted camera such as a go-pro which will capture the entire stalk as well as the shot. It will also not affect your rifle handling.
MS
deer man on here uses one. In fact he's rarely in the woods without his 'strap-on'.

Last edited:
Camera on the rifle is not a good idea from a safety perspective as it will encourage you to point a loaded rifle in directions which may not be safe. Much the same as why you use binoculars to look for deer and not your scope!!
Best to get a head mounted camera such as a go-pro which will capture the entire stalk as well as the shot. It will also not affect your rifle handling.
MS

The go pro cameras are truly great pieces of kit. My mate has one for down hill cycling and another friend uses one for on the track days with his GSXR they don't miss a beat and the HD camera works really well.

No worries. Just answering the OP question. Ive used it twice in 3 years to show a couple of rabbits being shot with the .17hmr. I wouldnt use it with a full bore!

No worries. Just answering the OP question. Ive used it twice in 3 years to show a couple of rabbits being shot with the .17hmr. I wouldnt use it with a full bore!

Like I said I was not having a go at you directly. I just saw the "Pros" at team wild promoting it and I could not help but think at the time it was a rubbish idea.

Youll never regret going for the GoPro

The waterproof dive housing can be used at considerable depth so no worries for you being cought out in torential rain.

Great fun camera/video for family outings etc

There's an IR camera type set up on the market where you look at a screen on your rifle which is 'seeing' through your scope. You don't even have to shoulder the rifle to fire - just put the cross hair on target and fire!:eek: Effectively scanning the countryside with a loaded rifle as you would a lamp! Not a good idea if you ask me!
MS

There's an IR camera type set up on the market where you look at a screen on your rifle which is 'seeing' through your scope. You don't even have to shoulder the rifle to fire - just put the cross hair on target and fire!:eek: Effectively scanning the countryside with a loaded rifle as you would a lamp! Not a good idea if you ask me!
MS
And that's different from using night vision ?
We can't all afford an NV scope AND spotter/TI, but you don't point it where you wouldn't shoot, ie, towards known 'no shoot' areas, you just gotta be as safe as you can, with what ya got. Quite simply, with the chamber empty, bolt open and rearward, it ain't gonna go bang.

​Regards

Last edited:
MS

MS , Was that what the fella used in the air gun big game thread a while back?

Quite simply, with the chamber empty, bolt open and rearward, it ain't gonna go bang.

​Regards

If everyone did that then it would be safe, but they don't all do it so it isn't always.
Quite simply, you don't know what is out there in the dark until you have pointed your rifle at it. I still say it is a bad idea! We can't all afford gen 3 spotting scopes etc, but at what price do you disregard safety?
MS

I have a contour ROAM which I'm really happy with, I mount it to the top of my scope using a rubber strap you can get for it. I went for the Contour ROAM over the GoPro as it is a more streamlined shape and also the rotatable lens gives you a lot more flexibility when mounting it, it's also waterproof to 1 meter without any housing. Paid less than £100 for it over here in Norway.

The only draw back with these action camera's is the lack of zoom, so if you want good footage it has to be close up, 50 meters or less.

If you look on my blog there are some photo's of my setup and a video I took of a young buck I shot:
http://jonathan81.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Contour%20ROAM

Good luck with your choice and I look forward to seeing some gun-cam action on the forum :cool:

Back