Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amax

Amax

I know Amaxes can be sent via conventional post but what are the storage requirements laid down by the law? Can I keep them outside of the gun cabinet?

Thanks,

Henry

You can keep them in the fruit bowl or fridge if you want to as they are classed as non expanding so there are no restrictions on them.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Does that relaxed storage condition apply even to them as loaded ready-to-go-ammunition?

No definately not. All loaded ammunition must be secured unless you are using it.

Blog Entries
    8x57 is of course 100% right.

It is surprising how much these requirements come up confusing people.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

It does always make me wonder that you could pretty much leave everything required to make up ammo (providing non expanding bullets) lying around the house along with your press etc....

Tim, as you know, I use my office to make up ammunition. It's locked, but to get to the CCTV system you have to go through my office. A couple of weeks ago the police wanted to look at the CCTV recordings. I wasn't there, but had a tray of cleaned brass out ready for priming etc. I've been told that the constable that had a mooch about was not happy !

Nothing else came of it. There was nothing there that was restricted (keep expanding bullets in cabinet), but given she asked "Is this some kind of ammunition factory?" and was worried, I would have expected some kind of followup !

Quote Originally Posted by baconbuttie View Post
    Tim, as you know, I use my office to make up ammunition. It's locked, but to get to the CCTV system you have to go through my office. A couple of weeks ago the police wanted to look at the CCTV recordings. I wasn't there, but had a tray of cleaned brass out ready for priming etc. I've been told that the constable that had a mooch about was not happy !

Nothing else came of it. There was nothing there that was restricted (keep expanding bullets in cabinet), but given she asked "Is this some kind of ammunition factory?" and was worried, I would have expected some kind of followup !
    Just dropped into 'Robo-Cop' thought-mode I guess, and the penny dropped later on reflection.

Obviously there was no-one there to say - 'Yes. What of it?'

This has to be a typical scene in thousand's of shooter's houses which the uniformed branch never see of course, but the civilian licensing staff do. It's impossible to hide all evidence of reloading 'activity' so best not to bother at all IMO.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

A couple of years back I sent the plumber and his mate upstairs to the spare room where they had to pull the floor up when it suddenly dawned on me that I should probably have warned them about all the brass in bags and the reloading setup.... I went up stairs and found them both looking at each other all . They were probably thinking they'd found a terror cell or something so it's definitely worth saying something to the lay man.

I was reloading in my den/ reloading room at the back of my garage a few years back when a police officer called to make enquiries about a neighbour. My wife directed the officer to me and he didn’t even flinch when he saw me churning out ammo on the Dillon. In fact he didn’t seem in the slightest bit interested and didn’t make any comment whatsoever. It didn't seem to bother him and it certainly didn't bother me, what I was doing is perfectly legal and I have nothing to hide.