Roe changing coat: is it a bit early?

groach1234

Just seen a roe that appears to be changing coat and by the time i'd been home to get the binos it was a bit dark to see much. Is it a bit early or normal? as it looked healthy enough from what i could tell

​George

They are changing here in Norfolk now. Watched a roe doe amble across my drive this morning and she was showing nice russet tones under her shaggy grey "winter woolies" which were clearly thinning.

Had 4 last Friday morning and 3 were showing summer coat which is pretty early for here. Seeing a lot more bucks than usual which are clean so they seem early despite the weather.

In previous years ive always thought we were ahead of most regions reporting them clean. Most ive seen are still not clean in Poole / New Forest..

Coats are on the change

Pretty normal round here mate - the cull bucks are always that bit more frustrating to skin with all the lose pins.

Spoke to the keeper on my stalking ground and he says they're changing already , I'm off on Friday for my first buck of the year :) can't wait

I was out tonight and two does in a group of five were quite scruffy round the neck and almost bald on front shoulders. Bucks have very lose coats shot one last week and had several almost bald patches one I shot tonight I only dragged about 70yds to a spot whare I could gralloch it and all the coat came out so its almost bald on one side.

Just seen a roe that appears to be changing coat and by the time i'd been home to get the binos it was a bit dark to see much. Is it a bit early or normal? as it looked healthy enough from what i could tell

​George

Simple one, It is nearly May, Ive been seeing shabby beasts for the last 3 weeks .

Hey dont worry about asking questions someone told me once theres no such thing as a stupid question but theres plenty of stupid answers.:doh:

Saw 3 roe here on Sunday, a doe and 2 bucks. One buck was just clean of velvet, antlers covered in bright red blood, the other still in full velvet (now in freezer) Both 6 pointers and all 3 still in full winter coat, no sign of summer coat showing through

Back